Rear window finish

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Dennis Rowe

Rear window finish

Post by Dennis Rowe »

I noticed in a previous post that some install the rear window rake panel before they cover the fuselage and put fabric over it, instead of placing the frame over the fabric and paint.
This seems like it would save you work and probably seal better.
Thoughts on this are welcomed
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Re: Rear window finish

Post by SheepdogRD »

Mine were epoxied in before covering. If I had discovered VHB tape before I drilled all the holes, there would be no holes to attach the Lexan... just VHB tape and thin RTV silicone edge seal.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Can you guys post pics of it done each way? I like to see the difference. I'm almost ready to start the fuse covering with Oratex.

Thanks,
Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I epoxied the frames, covered with fabric, added a rubber edge trim to prevent the fabric edge from lifting, used VHB tape and aluminum rivets with spacers to install lexan. I didn’t trust only the tape (yet...) and had drilled all the holes before covering, but only put half of the rivets in. It looks nice (more so on the exterior than the interior) but I might have done things slightly differently if I did it again.

This is the rubber trim: https://www.mcmaster.com/8693k19
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Thanks Dane. Looks great!

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

I made the frames from .020" and installed them with Hysol only, my airframe did not include the little welded tabs that come on the current kits. In the second photo you see all the blue tape on the window and airframe. I used the tape to protect the areas I wanted to keep clear of Hysol. The kits now come with Hysol in little applicators. The Hysol with my kit came in two quart cans and had to be mixed and applied by hand, a messy process. After forming a bead of Hysol I peeled off the tape while the Hysol was still wet and made a nice clean installation. I cut out the fabric after final paint and installed the polycarbonate window with 3M tape only. I sealed the edges of fabric with Seal All as recommended by Stewart Systems. I have about 100 hours on the plane with no window problems.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tralika on Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I contemplated sealing the edges of the fabric after I cut out the hole, but did not see the seal all recommendation. I have a couple other areas I could use that, but the rubber trim was my second option, and I really like how clean it looks.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

The Seal All is particularly good to use anyplace that fuel or brake fluid might come in contact with the edge of the fabric. The top coat of Stewat's paint will stand up to fuel and brake fluid but not the primer or glue. One of the Stewart's folks told me to use it around the fuel filler opening on top of the fuel tanks.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Thanks, I’ll have to pick some up for a few areas. Good to know.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis

Return to “Just Aircraft”