T3 Tailwheel Alternative Shock

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
rpigeek

T3 Tailwheel Alternative Shock

Post by rpigeek »

I'm pretty abusive to my T3 tailwheel and keep bending the bolt and shocks and Dan has been great in supplying replacements. Mostly as those really short landings I often hit with a high AoA and tailwheel first. I'm discussing a dual shock setup with him but has anyone run a different shock in the back with the T3? FYI, still a great setup.
FredHoffman
Veteran Member

Re: T3 Tailwheel Alternative Shock

Post by FredHoffman »

Yep, I switched mine to a fox mountain bike shock. Much better. But the shock was expensive. And had to machine new bushings to make it work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rpigeek

Post by rpigeek »

Did you stick with the AN5 bolt?
FredHoffman
Veteran Member

Post by FredHoffman »

Same bolts holding shocks. Had local machine shop machine bushings because the new shock holes were much bigger. The spacers on the sides were a made from a lubricated material. I don't know what it was, the machine shop had it laying around. But it had a teflon feel to it, but it looked like carbon fiber. I have about 50 hours since the mod and have not had to fiddle with the tailwheel since. I think the fox shock is very progressive getting very stiff at the end of the travel which may help prevent damage.

Return to “Just Aircraft”