Fuselage Fabric

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Re: Fuselage Fabric

Post by mhcrowder »

We got the fabric shrunk and 300F was where we stopped with just a very slight scalloping of the bottom longerons.

Next question. What size and shape is recommended for the Elevator openings on the fuselage? Is a standard size inspection ring big enough or should I make a custom size "ring" out of aluminum? Do most install covers on these or leave them open? I think I've seen one Highlander with plexiglass covers for easy inspections.
Building Highlander #371
http://highlander371.blogspot.com/
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Not definitive, but a standard ring should work. Just make sure you bias its position aft and down, the horizontal stab should be more or less against the front-inside of the ring and the ring should be just high enough that the elevator cross tube should not hit the ring at full-up deflection. This will give you more room to install the bolt that attaches the pushrod-cle is to the elevator horn. If you center the ring vertically you may have trouble installing the bolt.

And don’t forget the elevator cross tube is AFT of the hinge line, so it moves up and down in an arc.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

I used .020 aluminum and made a cover with left over windshield lexan attached with PK screws. I made the base in the shape of a standard inspection ring but if I had it to do over, I would make it oblong so it would be easier to access the bolts on the elevator control arm. If you make it with a standard inspection ring it may be a very tight fit to get the lexan between the horizontal stab and fuselage fabric. I suggest you make a template so after the fuselage is covered, you can locate the exact position needed to get access to those bolts for the elevator control arm. If you don't locate that opening correctly the only way to install/remove those bolts is by reaching up through the bottom opening in the fuselage. That is something you do not want to do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Post by mhcrowder »

Great Feedback guys. We made some larger rings out of 0.020 Aluminum and made sure that we can get to the bolts and to account for the Elevator movement. We'll probably pre-drill some holes in the aluminum before attaching to the fuselage fabric. But we're moving forward!
Building Highlander #371
http://highlander371.blogspot.com/
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

I ended up making custom size inspection plates. Layed up several layers of 9oz fiberglass, added nut plates and like John used some plexiglass for the covering
IMG_0249.JPG
IMG_0252.JPG
IMG_1416.jpg
Gary
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

How did you attach those? Are they two pieces for each side, an inside and outside to sandwich the fabric? Just glue in place?

Thanks,
Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Clark,
One per side, glued on and covers similar to other plates. I traced out the nut plates and burned the fabric before installing so they would lay flush on the fabric. The fuselage was in a rotisserie stand so it was easy to create the exact fiberglass shape over 2 mil plastic. You can also see the gap in the fiberglass rings where the horizontal stab mounts in the previous pictures.

IMG_0250.JPG
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Wish I’d thought of that...
Dane

Paralysis by analysis

Return to “Just Aircraft”