Superstol Inboard Flap Belcrank

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Superstol Inboard Flap Belcrank

Post by CanadianSheepHunter »

Showing alignment of Bellcrank lower arm before drilling the hole
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Re: Superstol Inboard Flap Belcrank

This pic from an older 1019 drawing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

My revised 1019 drawing has this saying “see chapter 3 Section 21 for alignment”...that chapter and section refers to the drawings...causing head scratching...but I confirmed the proper alignment over the phone
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Drawing 1005
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Another thing to note, when bolting up the AN3-6A bolts through the flap inboard Bellcrank through the AAW-0099 Flap Pulley Baseplate the bolt washers may just barely ride on the welds on flap Pulley baseplate...if you file the weld you remove the coating on the metal, so I filed a bit of a flat edge on the washers that were barely riding up on weld on one side.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Couple pics of the flap cable outboard Pulley cable attachment with clear heat shrink on cable tail.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Left wing Inboard Flap Bellcrank with clear shrink sleeve and safety wire
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Left wing Inboard Flap Bellcrank and pitot line secured with two zip ties to prevent rubbing of pitot line on Bellcrank bolt ends.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Flap return springs after I shortened them.
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

How much did you take off the springs? Interested. Did you see a big difference in the flap return?

Thanks,
Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Is any one putting safety wire on bell crank to hold the cable in the groove when slack (disconnected) ??

I have heard stories of old piper aircraft that only deploy one flap on final and crash because the cable came out of one pulley...
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
dkshow
Veteran Member

Post by dkshow »

I'm pretty sure we safetied all our cables onto the bellcranks. Seems like you wouldn't want those coming off really at any time.
Keith Showalter
More Photos at www.keithshowalter.com
Anchorage, Alaska Superstol N445K
Built in NC with Rob Pedersen, Plane Fun Aircraft
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Clark in AZ wrote:How much did you take off the springs? Interested. Did you see a big difference in the flap return?

Thanks,
Clark
The factory told me to take 1 1/2" off because apparently the proper length of spring is not available. I think i ended up taking more like 1 3/4" off, i cut the spring at the 15th coil with a dremel(actually started cutting the 12th, then 13th coils carefully working my way to the 15th coil) and cutting disc. I found this out when i asked the factory if my flaps were supposed to droop any when my wings were horizontal in my wing rotators, as they were drooping 1-3" can't remember exactly how much, but after shortening the spring they no longer droop. I have installed Billy Paynes flap track bearings and I highly recommend that. I polished the flap tracks first with a 80 grit wheel on a dremel that fit nicely into the flap track slots, then finished by hand with 320 grit emery cloth...the flap moves very very nice, i will be installing the other flap any day. And a side note apparently many people have cut the round holes in the aluminum skin on bottom of wing to access the dogbone bearings for slats.
Last edited by CanadianSheepHunter on Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

BDA wrote:Is any one putting safety wire on bell crank to hold the cable in the groove when slack (disconnected) ??

I have heard stories of old piper aircraft that only deploy one flap on final and crash because the cable came out of one pulley...
Yes there and on the flap pulley, the first one I did on the flap pulley I tried to put the clear shrink tubing over the main cable and the tail and found with the shrink tubing the cable didn’t want to sit down into the bottom of the pulley groove all the way, then I tried putting it in the groove while the heat shrink tubing was still hot, that was better but still would not sit fully down into pulley groove, so then I cut the heat shrink off and put it on the tail only and solved that. I put torque seal on the cable as I saw that somewhere on the Internet.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

I asked the factory if the bolt on the flap bell crank should be installed upside down because the way i have it in my pic the bottom of bolt seems too close to the cables, and the bolt is just long enough to have the legal 2-3 threads past the nut. The factory said to install it the way it is in my pic. Without the wings on the plane and everything all snug its hard to judge things like this, i will call them to clarify this as the reply was just a short one by e-mail. I might be able to use the next size shorter bolt if i use a low profile nut.

Return to “Just Aircraft”