Superstol Spoliers/Interceptors Weight

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Superstol Spoliers/Interceptors Weight

Post by CanadianSheepHunter »

The weight of all components for one wing except is 3 lbs 1 oz without the weight of the fabric plate AAW-0170(I already have the fabric plate riveted to both wings so I can’t weigh that part). A wild guess of the fabric plate with rivets 8 oz. So the complete spoiler/interceptor kit would be 7 lbs total. My 3 lb 1 oz weight for one side included the nuts, bolts, washers, interceptor arms, interceptor panels, control rod, rod end bearings, pivot rod, fabric plate stringer, bearing plates, bearings, bushings, belcrank...everything except the fabric plate as it was already riveted on. I’ll add some pics to this later.
BDA
Veteran Member

Re: Superstol Spoliers/Interceptors Weight

Post by BDA »

Splitting hairs here - I know I used enough glue and extra fabric around those things to add up to something...half a pound?

Not that it matters - they are AWESOME in slow flight.

Factory says to rig them just below the surface, but I dont want the drag (loss of lift) until more drastic control inputs are needed.

That way they are never “out” unless you really need them.

What do you think?
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

BDA wrote:Splitting hairs here - I know I used enough glue and extra fabric around those things to add up to something...half a pound?

Not that it matters - they are AWESOME in slow flight.

Factory says to rig them just below the surface, but I dont want the drag (loss of lift) until more drastic control inputs are needed.

That way they are never “out” unless you really need them.

What do you think?
I don’t know what to think...the build manual says to cut them 1 1/4” long...thought I heard someone say they prefer them 1” long (above wing surface)...I didn’t realize they get trimmed until I started installing them.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Right wing interceptors hanging down as far as they can. Interceptors original length...not cut yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Right wing interceptors hanging down as far as they can, Interceptors original length not cut yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Right wing looking from bottom side of wing. Note control rod attached to belcrank with AN3-12A as per drawing but need to ask Factory yet if I’m missing washers or using too long of a bolt.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Right wing view from bottom side of wing
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Right wing, second bay in from wingtip, false rib # 24 with bearing panel attached.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Right wing, third bay from wing tip, bearing panel attached to false rib # 22.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Right Wing 4th bay from wingtip, looking from bottom side of wing. Bearing panel attached to false rib # 19.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Right wing holding Interceptors up as far as possible...with Interceptors touching the drag tubes.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Right wing, showing the 0.060” clearance between interceptor pivot shaft and the large holes in front of ribs.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Right wing, 4th bay from wingtip(most inboard interceptor), Interceptor as far down as they go, Interceptor not trimmed yet, control rod not hooked up.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Right wing, top side of wing, third bay from wingtip(middle Interceptor), Interceptors as far down as they go, control rod not hooked up. Interceptors not trimmed yet.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Right wing, top side of wing, 2nd bay in from wingtip, Interceptors down as far as they can be, and control rod not hooked up yet. Interceptors not trimmed yet, Original length.

Return to “Just Aircraft”