Superstol Flying Tail Pics

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Re: Superstol Flying Tail Pics

Post by CanadianSheepHunter »

I installed Shear bolts from Spruce on my tailwheel attach point. I think I read on forum somewhere that the SS has never been spin tested ?
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Here’s a tip for those that work alone like me...if there’s a will there’s a way...Nico Press 1/8” tail cables by yourself use a couple small size vise grips(not too tight), Mark the exact Center of the Nico Press sleeve with a very fine point sharpie, use a 3/32” drill bit to get the correct gap between the Nico Press thimble and sleeve(could use a numbered drill bit a wee bit bigger than 3/32”...but I just figured this out tonight). Put your Nico Press tool in a vise and Center your black mark on Nico sleeve on the tool...wa la...not bad at all if your alone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Wish I had thought of the drill bit as a spacer sooner
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Works great
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

The heat gun tip attachment works great too, I still rotate the cable while shrinking the sleeve though
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Did this one with a #38 numbered drill bit to space the thimble from Nico Press on the 1/8” tail cables
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Something good to know I learned years ago at a Sun N Fun seminar...the Bell helicopter Symbol on a turnbuckle or Clevis means it’s not a cheap knock off...in that seminar they said there was some cheap turnbuckles that were junk nock offs and apparently there was turnbuckles that failed that never had the Bell symbol
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

All cables done up...except going to redo the front upper right one as I didn’t space the Nico Press correctly on it.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

All cables made up. The appendix for the Stainless Flying wires says to use 1 washer under each flying tab and remove those washers after all cables are made. In this pic the washers have not been removed and I got things nice and snug by myself without a helper.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

All cables done up, washers not removed yet, and going to redo one cable when I get more 1/8” Nico Press sleeves...they don’t send 1 extra so if you screw up you won’t have any extra Nico sleeves.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Takes patience to do a nice job on cables.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

I redid one cable tonight and used a #36 drill bit instead of #38 as a spacer, #36 is definitely a better space for the Nico Press gap to thimble before first press.

Return to “Just Aircraft”