Rivets

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Rivets

Post by CanadianSheepHunter »

I’m just about to rivet my ribs, it says to use AVEX rivets for the ribs. My rivets were not in a store package because I bought a used kit. My rivets were in a plastic bin labeled Avdel 1661-0410 and when I searched them on Internet the only link I looked at says they are no longer available, in that same link(pics attached) it appears to me this is what is also known as the Avex rivet. In the pics of me holding two rivets, the rivet on left is the Avdel and the one on right is the CCP-44(for the flap track brackets). I wonder if there is a reason the Avdel is no longer available. I will ask Factory on Monday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Re: Rivets

Post by Tralika »

Are you building a Highlander or Super STOL?
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Tralika wrote:Are you building a Highlander or Super STOL?
Superstol
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

As I understand it:
Ccp should be stainless steel rivet for steel brackets to aluminum.

Avex is aluminum rivet for aluminum to aluminum connections.

Anyone else have any more info?
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Technically, you could be concerned with galvanic corrosion with SS rivets and aluminum.

HOWEVER, aircraft like Sonex use CCP SS rivets throughout (except in the spar, which uses solid aluminum rivets, but only for the actual spar “sandwich”). The rib nose and tail are attached to the spar with CCP rivets. The skin is attached with same.

There have not been any issues on 6061 aluminum (which is more corrosion resistant than the higher-strength 2024) of which pretty much the whole airplane is built. I think the timeframe where corrosion would be an issue would be longer than the expected life of the airplane.

SS rivets are heavier, but since you are only using them to attach ribs to spars I don’t think it is critical (not very many rivets).

Somebody correct me, but I think zenith aircraft are built the same.

I’m no expert, but I think if aluminum rivets are good SS would work as well. Also, you should easily be able to find an equivalent rivet if you can’t find the “exact” rivet (rivet and mandrel material, shear strength, pullout force).

Just my $.02
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

BDA wrote:As I understand it:
Ccp should be stainless steel rivet for steel brackets to aluminum.

Avex is aluminum rivet for aluminum to aluminum connections.

Anyone else have any more info?
You bet, yes the CCP are for the steel brackets.

Thx
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

danerazz wrote:Technically, you could be concerned with galvanic corrosion with SS rivets and aluminum.

HOWEVER, aircraft like Sonex use CCP SS rivets throughout (except in the spar, which uses solid aluminum rivets, but only for the actual spar “sandwich”). The rib nose and tail are attached to the spar with CCP rivets. The skin is attached with same.

There have not been any issues on 6061 aluminum (which is more corrosion resistant than the higher-strength 2024) of which pretty much the whole airplane is built. I think the timeframe where corrosion would be an issue would be longer than the expected life of the airplane.

SS rivets are heavier, but since you are only using them to attach ribs to spars I don’t think it is critical (not very many rivets).

Somebody correct me, but I think zenith aircraft are built the same.

I’m no expert, but I think if aluminum rivets are good SS would work as well. Also, you should easily be able to find an equivalent rivet if you can’t find the “exact” rivet (rivet and mandrel material, shear strength, pullout force).

Just my $.02
Thanks
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Make sure that the bracket rivets go through from the correct side ...
It makes a difference!!
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

BDA wrote:Make sure that the bracket rivets go through from the correct side ...
It makes a difference!!
You bet, they go in from the rear side thanks, should have my hysol tomorrow and will be doing them. And I did get confirmation from the factory that my rivets are the correct ones.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

I circled the word AVEX in this pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Just Aircraft”