Beringer brakes

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
BDA
Veteran Member

Beringer brakes

Post by BDA »

The main reason I chose to use Beringer brakes on my plane were for the proportioner valve, and the ability to “tune” the brake power output.

So I get down to the final plumbing, and I am told that I dont need the proportioner valve, will never use it. As the brakes will need to be all the way “up” anyway.
“Nobody is using it”

So, just to make sure...

Is anyone adjusting their proportioner valve?

Have you seen any benefit to it?

Is it just needless weight?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
BDA
Veteran Member

Re: Beringer brakes

Post by BDA »

AND

What oil are you using?

Beringer says to use mineral oil... but every brake fluid I have seen is synthetic.

I am thinking hydraulic fluid will be just fine.

Anyone have any other ideas?
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
EchoWhiskey
Seasoned Member

Post by EchoWhiskey »

Thats a great question. I am starting brakes too and Beringer seems to think its useful. One of the benefits being preventing accidental prop strike with locked brakes. I see a value there as new to tailwheel and wanting to push the envelope. As it is adjustable, and not terribly heavy, why not?

I was slso told by Jack not to mount the reservior on the brake cylinder. However Beringer shows that too. He says mount on firewall.

I do like the idea of it being more stationary and not moving with rudder pedal
Ed Whitaker
Humble Novice

What do you get when things don't go as planned? Experience.
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I’ve never adjusted my valve since Chris and I completed the Build, we got it to where I liked it, and I just leave it alone.
BDA wrote:The main reason I chose to use Beringer brakes on my plane were for the proportioner valve, and the ability to “tune” the brake power output.

So I get down to the final plumbing, and I am told that I dont need the proportioner valve, will never use it. As the brakes will need to be all the way “up” anyway.
“Nobody is using it”

So, just to make sure...

Thanks
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Post by CanadianSheepHunter »

BDA wrote:AND

What oil are you using?

Beringer says to use mineral oil... but every brake fluid I have seen is synthetic.

I am thinking hydraulic fluid will be just fine.

Anyone have any other ideas?
Mineral oil would get very thick at -20C wouldn't it? I just ordered my Beringers today, and will sell my new Matco system.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

BDA wrote:The main reason I chose to use Beringer brakes on my plane were for the proportioner valve, and the ability to “tune” the brake power output.

“Nobody is using it”

So, just to make sure...

Thanks
Is the proportional valve the knob on top on left side of pic ?
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

How much heavier are the Beringer system compared to Matco system ?
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

The picture above (red thing) the whole piece is P valve

I have not done weight comparison but someone else posted here that matco is 1 pound heavier I think, plus the double caliper to make them equal the Beringer setup.

As to mineral oil - aviation hydraulic fluid (chevron) is good to -50+F
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

BDA wrote:The picture above (red thing) the whole piece is P valve

I have not done weight comparison but someone else posted here that matco is 1 pound heavier I think, plus the double caliper to make them equal the Beringer setup.

As to mineral oil - aviation hydraulic fluid (chevron) is good to -50+F

thx
EchoWhiskey
Seasoned Member

Post by EchoWhiskey »

Where are people that are using the valve mounting it? I'm not sure if the bracket is helpful or not.
Ed Whitaker
Humble Novice

What do you get when things don't go as planned? Experience.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Got my Beringer 6” Wheels/Brakes for 1 1/4” axle on Superstol. I weighed them with a digital fish scale as they are in the 3 pics. The Beringer will need the four AN 4 bolts/nuts added, the Matco will need the 1 1/4” axle nut added to have correct comparison weights. But the weights as they are in the 3 pics are...Beringer 6 lb 4 oz, Matco 7 lb 11 oz. I’ll weigh again when I added the bolts to the Beringer and axle nut to Matco. And I’ll weigh the master cylinders/cylinders another day. The Beringer steel braidedlines will add weight but at the end of the day I think it will be a tie between the two weight wise.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Attached are some photo’s of where & how Chris Wallen installed the valve. We installed it and adjusted it once and it performed acceptable. I haven’t touched it since. It makes sense that once you find the right setting you will leave it alone.
Here are some info on my install:
The Proportioner valve is under the Pilots seat mounted with two adel clamps. The Brake Lock is under the passengers seat mounted on a small sheet metal tray. Both can be seen when the seats are moved aft of full forward position.

There is a you tube video of a comparison of Berringer versus Match Brakes in a kitfox. He compares weigh, & breaking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNOjH93u1kc&t=7s

One thing, follow the break in procedures for the Berringer breaks. I wasn’t aware they had a specific break in process. I am replacing both the break pads and the Rotors.

“Nobody is using it”

So, just to make sure...

Thanks
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Paul,
Please elaborate on why you have to replace your pads and rotors after 170 hrs.

And - when you adjusted the proportion valve initially, how close was it to max power available?

When landing do you have enough grab to lock up and nose over?

Thanks
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

AV8R Paul wrote:Attached are some photo’s of where & how Chris Wallen installed the valve. We installed it and adjusted it once and it performed acceptable. I haven’t touched it since. It makes sense that once you find the right setting you will leave it alone.
Here are some info on my install:
The Proportioner valve is under the Pilots seat mounted with two adel clamps. The Brake Lock is under the passengers seat mounted on a small sheet metal tray. Both can be seen when the seats are moved aft of full forward position.

There is a you tube video of a comparison of Berringer versus Match Brakes in a kitfox. He compares weigh, & breaking.

One thing, follow the break in procedures for the Berringer breaks. I wasn’t aware they had a specific break in process. I am replacing both the break pads and the Rotors.

“Nobody is using it”

So, just to make sure...

Thanks
That’s an excellent You tube video on Beringer comparison thanks for the link
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

AV8R Paul wrote:There is a you tube video of a comparison of Berringer versus Match Brakes in a kitfox. He compares weigh, & breaking.
It's an interesting video, but Matco isn't in it. That video is a comparison with the Grove/Cleveland system.

It's a woefully un-scientific test: a single run with each system, comparing an older Grove installation a brand new Beringer installation, and run by a tester who was hardly unbiased. I'd guess that very few -- if any -- Just aircraft are running Grove systems. And, while the practical test is closest to what we experience in use, it doesn't give us repeatable data comparing the peak braking forces available.

I haven't seen any testing that compares the Beringer system with a Matco system running intensifiers, 1/8" brake lines, and a remote reservoir. Steve Henry says those low-cost Matco modifications make the systems comparable.

I think the Beringer proportioning valve -- they call it the Anti-Lock Inline Regulator -- is a terrific idea. If it keeps me from nosing over as I learn to use the brakes judiciously, it might justify the added cost of the Beringer system. I wonder what comparable component might be available.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.

Return to “Just Aircraft”