Beringer brakes

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: Beringer brakes

Post by danerazz »

CanadianSheepHunter wrote: The factory said the part that is bent like a rectangular U is not what the hole is drilled into, you Drill the flat piece that is welded to the bent U.
That’s funny, the manual shows the “U” part being drilled...is that just for the matcos, and the way you suggest for the beringers? I’m pretty sure if you drilled the other plate for the matcos it would place the attach point too low and cause geometry issues.

This is a screen grab from the manual
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Thanks Kenny, please post pics of the new pieces when you receive them. I'll have to take a closer look at mine now.

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Post by CanadianSheepHunter »

danerazz wrote:
CanadianSheepHunter wrote: The factory said the part that is bent like a rectangular U is not what the hole is drilled into, you Drill the flat piece that is welded to the bent U.
That’s funny, the manual shows the “U” part being drilled...is that just for the matcos, and the way you suggest for the beringers? I’m pretty sure if you drilled the other plate for the matcos it would place the attach point too low and cause geometry issues.

It’s a tough one to explain with pics, I have the correct ones for Beringer coming from the factory. I re drilled a couple that I had just to see how they fit(drilled the plate that is welded to to bent rectangular U) and installed looks the same as your pic...if I had used the holes that my previous kit owner drilled then they wouldn’t install the same as your pic.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Clark in AZ wrote:Thanks Kenny, please post pics of the new pieces when you receive them. I'll have to take a closer look at mine now.

Clark
Yes I will, they have been shipped UPS so hopefully I get them in a week or so. If you ordered the Beringer with your original kit order you probably have the correct ones already.
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

CanadianSheepHunter wrote:
Clark in AZ wrote:Thanks Kenny, please post pics of the new pieces when you receive them. I'll have to take a closer look at mine now.

Clark
Yes I will, they have been shipped UPS so hopefully I get them in a week or so. If you ordered the Beringer with your original kit order you probably have the correct ones already.
Yes, I ordered the Beringer brakes with my kit, but it was almost 3 years ago now. Worth taking a good look at since I'm coming up to hooking all that up in the not too distant future...
Cave Creek, AZ
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Screenshot of the Beringer resvoir Bleed caps that can be ordered. I took this pic from YouTube video “Beringer Tech tip #6 -How to bleed your brakes?”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

I would like to see pics of others of where/how they mounted the Beringer park brake and what kind of knob used.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

danerazz wrote:

I found this to be true. I drilled mine the other way and could not get them to work. They work fine when drilled as shown in the photo. I ended up ordering new parts from Just because the two sets of holes were such an obvious mistake. Has anyone flown their plane with these parts drilled the other way?
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

This is what came with my Beringer Brake Bleed Kit for $208 Canadian/ $154 USD.
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Not to Bash Beringer Brakes, I just thought Ya'll might Get something from this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMG2HwIFfgU

Cheers,
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

I can’t understand why the wheels turned at all with the park brake on.
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

With my set-up I found it difficult to put enough leverage on the stock beringer parking brake arm for a full power hold.

All around NOT impressed with Berringer park brake.

Its too expensive, not effective, and not reliable.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Hey Guys,

Bringing this thread back up as I am working on my Beringer brakes now. I would like to see more pics of where/how you mounted the proportioning valve and the parking brake? Looking for ideas. After reading this thread again, I am going to install the ALIR valve, even if I only set it up once I think it will be worthwhile. Besides, I already have it.

Any other comments/suggestions or PIREPS on the Beringer brakes would be welcome.

Thanks,
Clark
Cave Creek, AZ
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

I haven’t fully mounted mine yet, but I won’t be using the proportional valve to save weight. For where I want to land if it comes down to me flipping my plane rather than going in a river or over a mountain ridge top I would rather be able to lock my brakes and flip and live than go into a river or over a bank...just my 2 cents. I have their park brake and it’s bullshit there’s no on / off marked on the housing.
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

I plumbed my parking brake under pilot seat

But I was not thinking when I did it, so I cannot look under the seat easily and see brake position or leaks, both important.

Make a large enough base plate for the cable mount, and put everything on top so you can see it.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind

Return to “Just Aircraft”