Build instruction Video

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.

Would you buy a build video? If so, what is highest amount you would have paid?

Yes
47%
No
5%
$50
No votes
$75
5%
$100
21%
$150
No votes
$200
No votes
$300
21%

Total votes: 19

BDA
Veteran Member

Build instruction Video

Post by BDA »

If there was a build instruction video, would you buy it?

Maybe if we show the factory what it is worth to us - they will make one...

Check the amount that you would have realistically paid for a good detailed video.

Jak?
Buddy?
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: Build instruction Video

Post by danerazz »

I would much rather have a good, organized hard copy manual for use in the shop that I can markup. I am not a fan of everything becoming a video. I can flip through a manual and find the picture or paragraph I need a lot faster than watching a two-hour video to find the 10 second clip I need.

Then again the build manual has been sub-par forever.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

I agree with Dane... a better manual would be the best bet.

For some processes, though, it would be great to have video clips referenced in the manual. The clips could be included on the manual DVD and perhaps published online. They might even be good sales tools.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Yes I agree, a better build manual would be nice. But like "Better Aircraft Fabric"'s Facebook page, they have included new YouTubes vids that demonstrate round corner application with their product. There are some difficult processes in building the Highlander, Super/Stol that could be videoed to help the first time builder. I'd do it, but I'm shy, and not a narcissist :P. Maybe one of you young guys would enjoy showing your stuff!

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

It would completely depend upon the quality of the video. If it was a great video it would be priceless. If it was a lousy video it would be worthless.
Super Stol Kit #299
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

I agree with previous comments. I think 10 to 30 second video clips showing how something goes together or how something is supposed to move could be very helpful. As stated, those clips could be referenced directly in the manual. However, I think the manual needs a total re-write by an actual technical writer with many more task specific drawings included. Just having larger task specific exploded view drawings would be a step in the right direction.

If you've ever seen the Kitfox manual, that is the benchmark, very clear writing with excellent exploded view drawings for all tasks. That is an excellent manual and Just Aircraft would be wise to emulate it. Kitfox continues to update it on a regular basis too. Kitfox also sends owners bulletins, notices, changes, new product offerings, etc. regularly as well. As a SuperSTOL owner, I've never received an update of any kind from Just Aircraft. I'm sure they've changed the way some things are done at the factory over the two years I've had my kit but have never received any notice? No manual updates either?

Another suggestion is for JA to have an owner portal (forum for owners only) where owners could login and have access to the latest manuals online. Have them in .PDF format for download. It would provide owners a way to ask questions and have the factory/other owners post solutions about specific tasks. It would give them direct feedback on which tasks are generating the most questions/problems and they could use the info to update that specific section of the manual using the solutions/photos posted. The factory would also have a direct way to share tips/tricks/shortcuts/techniques with owners. Video clips could be uploaded too. I'm sure Jak is tired of answering the same 1000 questions over the phone.

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
rmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rmullins »

They wouldn't even need to do anything as fancy as a production video. Could just be someone at the factory recording Jac on a cell phone saying "We've received a few calls about xxx and we thought a video would help clarify it" Upload it to a Just Aircraft channel on YouTube and there you are. It would only take a few minutes and would save the factory a bunch of time on the telephone.
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh
EchoWhiskey
Seasoned Member

Post by EchoWhiskey »

Rmullins that is brilliant.

Easily created and could initially focus on the low hanging fruit. :D
Ed Whitaker
Humble Novice

What do you get when things don't go as planned? Experience.
STOLnation

Post by STOLnation »

It is a frustrating topic. I completed a Highlander over a year ago and struggled with the manual during the process. If it hadn't been for Scott Blankenship giving me some advice along the way it would have been even more challenging. After that experience I did approach Gary about producing a new manual and video taping those areas especially confusing, difficult, or beyond the normal skill level. He thought the new manual was the best ever. Why do I think I would have been successful in such an en devour? An A&P, CFI, degree in Internet Management, Masters in Education. I live 8 miles from the factory. All I was asking was for a break on the next kit. I was also hoping to promote the company in a similar manner to what Trent Palmer has for KitFox. Oh well. It was a great plane when all was said and done, a blast to fly.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

On a positive note, I think much of the highlander is self-explanatory and appreciate the huge amount of leeway a “vague” set of instructions promotes.

However, I do realize skill sets vary wildly between builders and some people just need (or want) a detailed step-by-step guide.

I feel there were very few “critical” steps, measurements or details in the manual. Beyond these just applying standard practices gets the thing done...as long as you don’t do something unique (like putting an engine on that requires the whole nose to be reshaped).
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Dane, I cannot wait to see pictures of your project! I know we have been working on our projects for a long time, I think mine will be flying by next summer. How about you? Yes, yes I know job, family chores, all get in the way of daily work on the project. Today for example I did two hours of chores for the wife, mowed two pastors, and worked on the airplane for an hour and 20 minutes. Tomorrow I’m off to work for a five-day trip to Shanghai. Then back next Monday for five days at home. Hopefully I’ll get to start covering my wings by Tuesday.
Cheers!
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Things are finally moving along well. I should be done with paint this month, then I get to start assembling things without having to take everything apart again (for stuff like covering and paint).

I am starting as a part-time sim instructor this week, so hopefully that doesn’t mess me up (our company is WAY under water on sim and instructor availability, so I expect to be very busy doing this).

All in all, the major stuff is done, just needs reassembly. I should be flying (hopefully) springtime. If everything goes right (never does) I would like to take it to Oshkosh next year.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis

Return to “Just Aircraft”