Rib Loose

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
BucF16
Veteran Member

Rib Loose

Post by BucF16 »

Yesterday I was installing the Butt-Rib on the starboard side. I taped it to the #1 rib in the right wing, and was adjusting the standoff, when I noticed movement in the #1 rib on the spar. Holy crap, the forward bond to the spar was totally loose. The Hysol was bonded to the Rib but it was as if it never bonded to the spar. Since it is bonded to the rear spar and to the fuel tank via the square wood blocks and West System, It doesn't move much, BUT it has broken loose on the front.

Have any of y'all had this happen? Because it is attached elsewhere, I can only move it 3/8 inch. When I do, the underlying spar looks shinny. Could it be that this spar area was never prepped? The Hysol looks just like the other joints.

My plan:

I can get to the Hysol on the inboard part, but the Fuel tank is in the way on the other side. I'll use my Dermal tool and rout out the Hysol that I can get to, prep the spar and re-Hysol inboard. I'll fill the "Tank Side" of the rib from tank to rib. That way, when to fabric is shrunk it will be tight to the tank.

Any other Ideas?

Thanks, Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
Tralika
Veteran Member

Re: Rib Loose

Post by Tralika »

I would call Just and get their opinion.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

I called. It went to voice mail, "The person you are trying to reach can't answer right now......" Does "Just" shut down during OSH?

Thanks,
Bruce
Builder web site:
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

BucF16 wrote:Does "Just" shut down during OSH?
No, they don't. But the production crew mostly works a four day week. There's only a skeleton crew -- at best -- on Fridays, and even fewer on Oshkosh and Sun-n-Fun Fridays.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Thanks you Richard! Please look at my Highlander 393 post. What do you think of the "No Stitch no Tape" process?
Cheers
Bruce
Builder web site:
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

OH CRAP!!! I found the culprit................... There was still fiberglass tape around the fuel tanks. I could pull the fiberglass off, but the glue remained. So like so many other bright ideas that Ive accumulated I went to my go to source.......Google/YouTube... Some knucklehead tough this knucklehead that Brake cleaner was excellent to remove tape glue. Oh yes, it works really really well. I'm glad I remembered that I had done this. So I had some trial pieces laying around and I sprayed them with brake cleaner. 30 seconds later I pulled the pieces right apart.

DON'T EVER LET THE STUFF ANYWHERE NEAR YOU PROJECT!

That is all.....
Bruce
Builder web site:

Return to “Just Aircraft”