Paint

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
jjacky
Veteran Member

Paint

Post by jjacky »

Well it's hard for me to believe but I am finally closing in on painting this old bird (it was a surprise to me that a fabric airplane will not fly without paint) I have a vague idea of what I'm suppose to be doing do have some questions...Like

Whats the best paint for the money?

Thinking canary yellow with a medium gloss.

How many coats...sealer, sun protection, top 1 top2,

Good paint people in the South east.

Can this be done at home by a novice?

I've heard of some rolling or brushing good house paint on...Does that work?

Are automobile paint shops OK for this?

Your ideas...Please
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!
BDA
Veteran Member

Re: Paint

Post by BDA »

Be very careful to use a paint that is compatible with your fabric system - as stated by that system.

And has the proper UV protection
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

My plane was my first spray painting endeavor. I'm pretty sure it will be my last. No question it was the hardest, most unpleasant part of the build. I used Stewart's System, nothing wrong with Stewart's but I recommend you use the EXACT compressor and sprayer set up they recommend. I used a Turbine sprayer which worked but it was hard to set up the spray gun to get the paint to flow out properly. Here is a link to the paint section of my build log for the gruesome details. People always say the paint job on my plane looks great however I know where every run, area of orange peel and zebra stripe can be found. I think my Stewart's paint ended up costing about $1600.

http://mykitlog.com/users/category.php? ... gory=10793

Keep in mind that if you choose a bright color for your top coat, like yellow, you will most likely need to put a white coat of primer over the filler/UV protective coat. As Shawn said, UV protection is very important but the primer is one extra step and more $$$. Once you decide on the type of paint you are going to use, attend one of the workshops that the paint companies sponsor and learn how to apply their product. It may involve some travel expenses but unless you have someone local who is an expert at applying that particular type of paint and willing to help you, the workshop will be cheap at twice the price. I did not attend a Stewart's workshop, big mistake!

Here are a couple of links to websites that describe using latex house paint on airplanes. Remember how much money and time you have invested in your plane when you make your decision on using latex paint. The latex paint will save you some money but it may devalue your plane and in the long run make you very unhappy.

http://www.wienerdogaero.com/Latex.php
http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/latex.html

Good luck
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

I have to keep reminding myself that I have to build it like my wife will have to sell it if something happens to me, changes your perspective on how you do things.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind

Return to “Just Aircraft”