Wing Load Test

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
EchoWhiskey
Seasoned Member

Wing Load Test

Post by EchoWhiskey »

I am building a Highlander with quick build wings. I scanned this forum for info on any load testing that has been done and was surprised not to find anything. It appears this is a requirement in other countries but doesnt appear to be so here. I am particularly intetested in finding any data on wing, spar, or strut bracket load tests or how people have done them.
What got me thinking abput this was the Nicopress thread. Having made a few I thought the assembly looked rock solid but then i read the thread that talked about how they can fail, particularly one that failed on a maiden flight.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Ed
Ed Whitaker
Humble Novice

What do you get when things don't go as planned? Experience.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Re: Wing Load Test

Post by SheepdogRD »

Load testing was done by the factory before the design was approved for production, so the factory would be your information resource. I haven't heard of anyone load testing their kit.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

I would not do a full load test on something I was going to fly.

The folks at the factory do have all that info anyway. Very interesting!!
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
EchoWhiskey
Seasoned Member

Post by EchoWhiskey »

I guess it depends on how one defines full load. There is typical operating load, design load, and failure load. The latter two should be significantly greater than the operating load. I do not advocate anyone attempt testing even the design load, which is likely 3.8-4G.

What i came across was required testing of wing loading to 1g in some other countries. Basically you flip plane over and load wings with sand bags. Which seems like a lot of work.

Sheepdog is correct that factory has this data. I just would like to know what it is. I am confident it is a well proven design.

FWIW, i found a video test of two rivets to a shear strength of 700lbs. If i were computer savvy i would post it. But a search of that term will bring it up.
Ed Whitaker
Humble Novice

AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Here is a video on the pop rivet shear strength test. I hope this works, I’ve never tried this before. You should be able to click or touch the below link, it will indicate it is a link with a blue underline. I tested it in the preview and it did work for me.
If it doesn’t play, “Copy” the below link and then “Paste” it into a You Tube search and it should work.

https://youtu.be/MAVYtx5dvUA
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
EchoWhiskey
Seasoned Member

Post by EchoWhiskey »

Factory says wing/strut tested to 5g with substantial bending but returned to proper shape.
Ed Whitaker
Humble Novice

Return to “Just Aircraft”