Flat wing tips

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Behindcurve

Flat wing tips

Post by Behindcurve »

Hello all. I have recently purchased a Highlander kit but has yet to be delivered. I am thinking of installing flat wing tips such as what are on Steve Henrys latest aircraft. After researching the installation of flat wing tips, its not as easy as leaving the fiberglass tips off and installing flat tips. The aileron sticks out 1 1/2" past the end of the wing with no wing tip installed. Apparently, the aileron must be cut back a 1 1/2" to accept a flat wing tip. This requires the last outboard aileron hinge to be installed on the next inboard rib. Leaving the aileron somewhat unsupported the last 18" or so.
With flat wing tip edges extending 3" above and below wing, they say it helps STOL handling. Besides saving $480 for fiberglass wing tips, is there much performance advantage with flat wing tips? Does anyone have experience installing flat tips? Or worth the effort?

Thanks for any help
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Re: Flat wing tips

Post by SheepdogRD »

The best answers will probably come from Steve Henry. He probably has more experience with those tips than anyone, and he can guide you to the best way to install them.

He's at (208) 880-7887, or email steve@wildwestaircraft.com.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

In my opinion
The main benefit is less weight from less fiberglass.

There is some efficiency gain when you install a “fence” that stops the span wise airflow at the tip from increasing the vortex drag. But a good tip can also do that.

It sounds like it would be easier to put a light spacer under the flat tip to make up the difference.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
Behindcurve

Post by Behindcurve »

Thanks for replies. A lightweight spacer to make up difference is a good idea! I don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanks

Return to “Just Aircraft”