Exhaust Wrap Damage

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Re: Exhaust Wrap Damage

Post by AV8R Paul »

My 912 Kitfox had custom built float bowls. Having had the left carb needle valve or seat leaking, it caused fuel to flow out continuously. I was flying into Mesquite when it started. Once I landed I had a constant stream out of the overflow hose. I was extremely lucky I had them installed, or I would have had a nice fire going in flight.
gkremers wrote:In my installation the Rotax drip tray does not fit on the left carb. The overflow tube is routed to the right carb bowl. I also check the carb floats every 50 hours as I've had to replace several because of sinking issues. 2 years ago I had the left carb with 2 sunken floats, total weight was over 12 grams. Almost double the recommended 7gram max allowable. Still had no fuel drips or fuel smell. Tell tale sign is a gradual roughness at low idle (1800-2200).

Gary
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

Instead of a carb drip tray "Hints for Rotax Owners" reccomends running a tube back to the firewall and then let it drop down the same distance as the original tube (a few inches). Do not over extend.
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I had my left carb leak fuel on my 912 on 2 different occasions. The term drip implies a slight leakage. I literally had fuel pouring out, in a constant stream. I was glad I had the “drip tray”, it diverted the stream through the tray to the drain hose, and out by the firewall. I was returning to KHQZ, when I landed it was streaming out. I shut off the fuel, as we pushed the plane off the runway.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

At the beginning of this thread I came down kind of hard on the Toucan people about their poor response time.
It turns out they had to attend to an illness in the family and had to be out of town.
Please forgive me for being such a jerk.
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!

Return to “Just Aircraft”