Exhaust Wrap Damage

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
jjacky
Veteran Member

Exhaust Wrap Damage

Post by jjacky »

I tried to get hold of Toucan Mufflers for an answer to this question but they are the most unresponsive company I've ever dealt with. Three e-mail, 3 calls, nothing. :? Anyway I've heard that wrapping the exhaust pipes in fiberglass can cause premature damage. Loose, cracked pipes and so on and so forth. Has anyone experienced this problem? Thanks!
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Re: Exhaust Wrap Damage

Post by AV8R Paul »

I’ve hear it is very common for wrapped exhaust to fail & crack.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

Reliable folks on rotax-owner forum do recommend exhaust wrap, and I don't think they would if it causes failure. I have wrapped my 914 exhaust but I am not flying yet.
Super Stol Kit #299
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Used to work for a Piper Aztec operator. The exhaust near the front of the engines was very close to the fiberglass nose bowls. Due to heat and occasional contact we had to repair the fiberglass a lot. We tried many things to avoid this, including wrapping the exhaust. The fiberglass fared better, but we ended up with cracking exhaust. Not a good trade. We eventually attached a heat/abrasion shield to the fiberglass; much better results.

I wouldn’t consider a wrap unless you had significant in-cowl temperature problems, and even then I would look to venting.

What are you trying to accomplish by wrapping? Is there an issue you believe this solves?

I think the exhaust damage is related to EGT and if you have very high EGT the wrap does not allow the ambient air to cool the exhaust, leading to higher temps for the pipes and eventual failure.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

I agree with Dane. Send a picture of what you're trying to solve with wrapping the exhaust pipes. I use aluminum heat barrier on the cowl to protect it from areas that are closest to the exhaust pipes and muffler. Also use some heat barrier wrap on some of the radiator hoses where it comes close to the exhaust pipes.

It's common on many RV aircraft to use a metal heat shield that attaches to the pipe and also use of the aluminum heat shield attached to the cowl.

Gary
IMG_1285.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

Everybody thanks a lot for your comments. I wrapped to prevent vapor lock and protect the radiator hoses. Gary I really like you aluminum shield. Where did you get that stuff?
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

They come in all different diameter and length.

Gary

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/therm ... eve-velcro
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

Perfect..Thanks Gary. Time to dump the wrap.
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

Gary just one last thing. It looks like your insulating sleeve is nicely hand sewn. Heat shield products doesn't have a lot to say about their sewn products so I'm wondering how you did that.
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

They come that way. I got the style that has velcro sewn in, that work really well. Had the cowls off today to balance the carbs and look things over, took a few pics of the right side and a heat shield under the left carb. In my installation the drip pan on the left side won't fit so I added the heat shield. The drip tray does a nice job of keeping the exhaust heat off the carb.
IMG_7850.jpg
IMG_7849.jpg
Gary
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
957DK
Seasoned Member

Post by 957DK »

Have you considered ceramic coating for your exhaust? Accomplishes basically the same thing you're looking for without hiding potential cracks in the exhaust down the road. Looks great but comes at a higher cost.

Dan
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

I’m not a fan of coating the exhaust. Wrapping the radiator hoses that get close to the exhaust is probably overkill but I’m happy with it. Fairly inexpensive and easy to remove for inspection if needed.

Gary
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

The Heat shield under the exhaust is a must. Where is the fuel Drip Tray? It should have one.
gkremers wrote:They come that way. I got the style that has velcro sewn in, that work really well. Had the cowls off today to balance the carbs and look things over, took a few pics of the right side and a heat shield under the left carb. In my installation the drip pan on the left side won't fit so I added the heat shield. The drip tray does a nice job of keeping the exhaust heat off the carb.
IMG_7850.jpg
IMG_7849.jpg
Gary
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

You need a drip tray under the carb bowl. A leak goes directly onto the exhaust. They do make Drip Trays.
gkremers wrote:I agree with Dane. Send a picture of what you're trying to solve with wrapping the exhaust pipes. I use aluminum heat barrier on the cowl to protect it from areas that are closest to the exhaust pipes and muffler. Also use some heat barrier wrap on some of the radiator hoses where it comes close to the exhaust pipes.

It's common on many RV aircraft to use a metal heat shield that attaches to the pipe and also use of the aluminum heat shield attached to the cowl.

Gary
IMG_1285.jpg
AV8R Paul
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

In my installation the Rotax drip tray does not fit on the left carb. The overflow tube is routed to the right carb bowl. I also check the carb floats every 50 hours as I've had to replace several because of sinking issues. 2 years ago I had the left carb with 2 sunken floats, total weight was over 12 grams. Almost double the recommended 7gram max allowable. Still had no fuel drips or fuel smell. Tell tale sign is a gradual roughness at low idle (1800-2200).

Gary

Return to “Just Aircraft”