Airmaster Pirep

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
rpigeek

Airmaster Pirep

Post by rpigeek »

I thought I’d share some feedback with the Airmaster on the Highlander.
TL;DR Takeoff negligible, greater rate of climb, 10% faster cruise

First, I have the following configuration.
1. 912 ULS w/Zipper
2. Extreme Gear, Shock Monster, 29” Tires
3. T3 Tail
4. Leading Edge Cuffs, VGs

I installed the Airmaster AP430 and that added about 16-17 lbs to the nose (vs the Kiev which is very light). I was way nose heavy and out of CG (6”) and must have been before adding the Airmaster (calculated it was probably 7.25” with the Kiev). I added 20 lbs to the tail which brought the CG to 9” when empty.

I had the Kiev setup for a 5500 static RPM, so I already was generating 95% of the horsepower of the engine. As a result the 5% increase in HP at 5800 RPM was counteracted by the 5% increase in weight (prop plus tail weight). This was confirmed as I didn’t see any difference in the takeoff roll at 5800 RPM.

However, I did see much better climb rate as I was able to hold RPM and not over speed in the climb. I could hold 1000 FPM with the Airmaster.

I did see a noticeable difference in cruise speed. Typically, in cruise I have to throttle back to maintain 5300 and usually see 79 KIAS. I don’t know what MP was as I didn’t add a manifold gauge until I installed the Airmaster. With the Airmaster at 26” / 5300 I saw 85 KIAS and 27” / 5300 I saw 89 KIAS.

Interestingly, I hit the same KIAS at 5200, 5300, 5500 RPM. It simply is a question of how much strain/load you want to put on the engine. The prop/hp/torque thrust seems to be pretty flat.

It was a lot of fun in the descent. In descent I had to previously power back a lot to keep from over speeding, however with the Airmaster as the prop adjusts it can keep forward thrust. I could easily see 110 KIAS.

As I had the same takeoff roll the main reason to buy the Airmaster is for the speed (vs fixed pitch for 5500 RPM). Only you can decide if that’s worth the money to you.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Re: Airmaster Pirep

Post by taildrgfun »

What kind of blades did you get on your Airmaster?
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Any photos?
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
rpigeek

Post by rpigeek »

taildrgfun wrote:What kind of blades did you get on your Airmaster?
The 75" Whirlwinds.
Sloney

Post by Sloney »

Thank you for this. I’m considering going with the same set up. We have the same mods yet I’m still stock 100 hp. Is it about $8000?
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Post by CanadianSheepHunter »

rpigeek wrote:I thought I’d share some feedback with the Airmaster on the Highlander.
TL;DR Takeoff negligible, greater rate of climb, 10% faster cruise

First, I have the following configuration.
1. 912 ULS w/Zipper
2. Extreme Gear, Shock Monster, 29” Tires
3. T3 Tail
4. Leading Edge Cuffs, VGs

I installed the Airmaster AP430 and that added about 16-17 lbs to the nose (vs the Kiev which is very light). I was way nose heavy and out of CG (6”) and must have been before adding the Airmaster (calculated it was probably 7.25” with the Kiev). I added 20 lbs to the tail which brought the CG to 9” when empty.

I had the Kiev setup for a 5500 static RPM, so I already was generating 95% of the horsepower of the engine. As a result the 5% increase in HP at 5800 RPM was counteracted by the 5% increase in weight (prop plus tail weight). This was confirmed as I didn’t see any difference in the takeoff roll at 5800 RPM.

Whats w/zipper...never heard the term before?

However, I did see much better climb rate as I was able to hold RPM and not over speed in the climb. I could hold 1000 FPM with the Airmaster.

I did see a noticeable difference in cruise speed. Typically, in cruise I have to throttle back to maintain 5300 and usually see 79 KIAS. I don’t know what MP was as I didn’t add a manifold gauge until I installed the Airmaster. With the Airmaster at 26” / 5300 I saw 85 KIAS and 27” / 5300 I saw 89 KIAS.

Interestingly, I hit the same KIAS at 5200, 5300, 5500 RPM. It simply is a question of how much strain/load you want to put on the engine. The prop/hp/torque thrust seems to be pretty flat.

It was a lot of fun in the descent. In descent I had to previously power back a lot to keep from over speeding, however with the Airmaster as the prop adjusts it can keep forward thrust. I could easily see 110 KIAS.

As I had the same takeoff roll the main reason to buy the Airmaster is for the speed (vs fixed pitch for 5500 RPM). Only you can decide if that’s worth the money to you.

Return to “Just Aircraft”