Travel Struts

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Travel Struts

Post by mhcrowder »

Does anyone have a couple of pictures of the travel struts? I'm looking to make my own set and would really like to see how both ends are finished off.

Thanks!
Michael
Building Highlander #371
http://highlander371.blogspot.com/
FredHoffman
Veteran Member

Re: Travel Struts

Post by FredHoffman »

No need to bend one end like I did if you keep the stab eyelet perpendicular to the wind. But if I were to start from scratch I would thread a tube and put threaded clevis forks on with quick disconnect pins to attach to stab and strut. It takes some time to unscrew everything. I think for extended travel people make another strut to stabilize the front spars too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

I have no pictures, but mine is one piece with similar ends to Fred's, and I use clevis pins and retaining clips.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
marl59
Seasoned Member

Post by marl59 »

Please make them out of steel. The ones that came with my plane were aluminum conduit smashed down and drilled. They worked well for a couple of long trips but one broke while trailering the plane on the freeway. The wing swung out and hit the headrack hard then bounced back and crunched the rudder and both ailerons. Not a good day. I'm thankful that I had added a rider on my insurance policy for the plane to be covered while being trailered. I promptly made a set out of 1/2" steel conduit. Also, in my opinion the struts should be bolted tight on extended trips to keep the wings from bouncing the mounting points around and stressing the areas. my 2cents :D
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Post by mhcrowder »

Thanks guys for all the ideas. Much appreciated!

--
Michael
Building Highlander #371
http://highlander371.blogspot.com/
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

Yes, mine are 1/2" conduit. In defense of the clevis pins, I never go on long trips and the time I trailered it home 200 miles I only drove 45mph. "Caution and more Caution" is my motto when it comes to that. The bolts would be more cautious.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.

Return to “Just Aircraft”