ELT Registration

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
alan
Veteran Member

ELT Registration

Post by alan »

It has just come to my attention, after 12 years of flying my Highlander, that there is a federal regulation requiring periodic registration of a 406mhz ELT. Does everyone but me know about this?

http://Www.beaconregistration.noaa.gov

To register on line requires one to set up an account with several verification questions. I'm just going to fill out the paperwork and fax it in. Eventually.

Wow. Who knew?

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Re: ELT Registration

Post by Tralika »

The registration period is two years. Then you will have to re-register the ELT. If an unregistered ELT is activated the launch of a search and rescue may be delayed. A registered ELT will identify it as being installed in an aircraft (as opposed to a Personal Locator Beacon or Marine Locator Beacon) along with the aircraft owners name and emergency contact numbers. If a registered ELT is activated the SAR folks will call the numbers on the registration to determine if it is an actual emergency and send help immediately even if there is no answer on the phone. I know a guy that flipped over his plane this summer. After the plane came to rest he crawled out and stood there trying to figure out how he managed to do that. His cell phone rang, it was the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center asking if he was OK. He estimates the total time between the upset and the call was one to two minutes. The registration also clears up nuisance accidental activations that tie up SAR personnel. So yes, registering your ELT is pretty important.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon

Return to “Just Aircraft”