Ohio open for seaplanes

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
gkremers
Veteran Member

Ohio open for seaplanes

Post by gkremers »

This may be old news to the guys and gals in Ohio but I was supper excited to read about this in the new Water Flying Magazine. Ohio opened 9 lakes/rivers to seaplanes with more expected to join the list. Also all Federal navigable waterways in the state are open to seaplane operation. I'm lucky MI is a very seaplane friendly state but now I can explore a little further south.

Indian Lake
Long Lake
Salt Fork Reservoir
Grassy Island North (Toledo)
Sandusky Bay East
Grand Rapids (Maumee River)
Lake Milton North
Lake Milton South
Rocky Fork

Fly safe

Gary
moving2time
Veteran Member

Re: Ohio open for seaplanes

Post by moving2time »

Gary, a friend of mine fly's a Lake Sea Plane and visited a couple of the lakes that Ohio opened last year. He later had the luck to happen to listen to a cop in the area talking about a plane that landed on one of those lakes. My friend spoke up and said that he was the pilot. Apparently the authorities never received a notice that these lakes had been opened to sea plane traffic. Either someone didn't read the notices or the authorities don't communicate well but it was a rather interesting conversation. we were just talking about it again last week. He was asking me about the water in Sandusky Bay because he had not visited it yet. He is down by the Ohio river. I told him it is a well enclosed area but if the wind comes from the right direction it can build up a good chop. The government isn't all that good at communication with us regular folk! :?
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I could be wrong, but I thought ohio’s “open” for seaplane policy also required you to personally register to land at each site. I thought it was a one-time or maybe annual requirement, but you had to do some paperwork.

As for federally controlled waterways, I don’t believe the state can restrict those, however New Jersey certainly does. You can operate a seaplane, but only as a boat while on the New Jersey side of the line...
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

That was one of the big changes, pilots are no longer required to obtain permits.
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

FYI
I called the state and indeed "All Federal Navigable Waterways are open for seaplane operations" Definitely means you can do more than taxi on the water.

This is all on dot.state.oh.us

Welcome to Ohio seaplane operators!
On April 23, 2018 the following changes to the Ohio Administrative Code (OAC) for seaplane operations went into effect:
All Federal navigable waterways are open for seaplane operations
Pilots are no longer required to have permits to land on State of Ohio approved landing sites
Only the lakes listed on this site are approved for seaplane operations!

Ohio Seaplane Bases
Grand Lake St. Marys (O12) landing area layout
Toledo Seaplane Base (2C9) landing area layout
Ohio Approved Seaplane landing areas

Buckeye Lake (Closed Until Further Notice)
Indian Lake landing area layout
Long Lake landing area layout
Salt Fork Reservoir landing area layout
Grassy Island North (Toledo) landing area layout
Sandusky Bay East landing area layout
Grand Rapids (Maumee River) landing area layout
Lake Milton North landing area layout
Lake Milton South landing area layout
Rocky Fork landing area layout
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Buckeye Lake is 7 miles South of my farm. Jim Carter is the MFWIC (MF what’s in charge). I’ll call him and see what’s up with the “closed until further notice” stuff.
Buck
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Several years ago I was flying near Chippewa lake near Medina and saw a caravan on floats (Cessna, not Dodge) landing. This was probably 15 years ago, but I think Chippewa is technically a private lake. Not sure if that makes a difference.

This was before I knew Ohio was stupid about seaplane flying. Glad to hear they are starting to right things, even if I don’t live there any more.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis

Return to “Just Aircraft”