AV8R Paul’s SuperSTOL XL

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
av8rps
Veteran Member

Re: AV8R Paul’s SuperSTOL XL

Post by av8rps »

I agree with painting it to match the wing. Very little weight gain that way too. Even if left all silver it would look ok, but a little plum crazy trim matching the wing would really make it look good in my opinion.

Oh, and I really think the extra dark colored trim on the fuselage looks good too. Really sets off the paint scheme. It appears your working with Chris was a very good decision.

I can hardly wait to hear what you think about flying it once you get some hours in it under the belt. I'm sure it will be quite different than the kitfox.
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I’m looking forward to going to S.C. in July to pick it up, what I’m not looking forward too is flying in circles for 40 hours to fly off the time.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Hey Paul,

How are you guys attaching your floorboards? Sheet metal screws, rivnuts? I'm thinking about rivnuts (don't think there is enough room on the tabs for lock plates) and I'm not crazy about sheet metal screws. Also, what are the dimensions and capacity of your header tank?

Thanks!
Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I’m not sure what Chris plans to use to attach the floor, the tank is the stock tank offered by the factory. It looks like it is about 1 1/2 gallon. I’d had to get the exact measurements and calculate the volume.
AV8R Paul
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Thanks Paul, no worries on the tank, I thought it might be a custom tank. Please let me know what Chris has in mind for the floorboards though.

Thanks,
Clark
Cave Creek, AZ
FredHoffman
Veteran Member

Post by FredHoffman »

"not looking forward too is flying in circles for 40 hours to fly off the time."

I'm in that flying in circles mode right now........ at the halfway point right now. Between work restrictions and weather it has been going slow. I imagined flying 8 hours a day but haven't been able to do that yet. Was going to head out this AM but the wind is gusting 20 mph already here at 8 in the morning ! Went from 500' overcast to high wind, looks like the Oregon coast here in Virginia this morning. Crazy weather.
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Paul, How much of a Radius did the FAA give you? And are you allowed to land at other fields inside that circle?
Thanks
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Haven’t found that out yet. We still haven’t had the DAR Inspector come out.
AV8R Paul
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Clark in AZ wrote:Please let me know what Chris has in mind for the floorboards...
There was a discussion about this some years ago. Here are some pertinent quotes:
ransomrocket994 wrote:I used 6-32 Rivnuts in all the 1/2" wide tabs without issue. They're nice because if you pull the threads out of one, you can drill it out and put another in. Make sure that you get the ones that have the knurled barrel or else they might turn. I got mine from McMaster. Part #94020A311
SheepdogRD wrote:I'm using some rivnuts (though I like to use nutplates when there's space). For tiny tabs like the floorboard mounts, I prefer to use a keyed rivnut (available from AS), which has a small protrusion on one side at the top of the barrel. After drilling the hole for the rivnut, I use minifiles to make a small slot on one side of the hole. That slot matches the protrusion and prevents the rivnut from turning so easily.
Rivnut - Keyed.jpg
The trick is to use quality rivnuts and drill the smallest possible holes they'll fit in. A tighter hole makes for a better crimp. Practice a few times; it's possible to crimp so hard that you strip the threads out.

You can get a rivnut tool for $22 from Harbor Freight, but it's not a heavy-duty unit. I broke the first one before I learned to be gentle and keep it aligned. For use with 6-32 rivnuts, it's beefy enough. The tool is less important than the rivnuts themselves. Thus, the Harbor Freight rivnuts that come with the tool are great for practice, but probably not even close to aviation grade, and they're neither keyed nor knurled. The rivnuts are going to be in there a long time, and we'll be using them at each inspection. It's no fun to drill out a stainless steel screw and a cheap rivnut that spun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Thanks Sheepdog! I just bit the bullet and bought a Rivnut tool. I plan to use the keyed rivnuts also. I've read a lot of folks use either red (271) or Green (680) loctite with them as insurance. I'll probably do the same.

Clark
Cave Creek, AZ
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

A lot of progress has been made, Chris Wallen of Wallen Aircraft LLC, has been plugging away. It is going to be a neat looking Airplane, and it’s not one of the typical M&M colored (Red, Blue, Yellow, or Green). Humm, does transporting it to the airport count as Flight Time, the wheels aren’t touching the ground. I’ve asked him to paint the Horizontal Stabilizer & Elevators to match the wings. I guess I need to pack my truck and get ready to go to Travelers Rest. I have been working on some personal requirement for the last couple of weeks, and haven’t been available much, and Chris sent me a Text Message with the following photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

In talking with Chris he drills a pilot hole and uses a self tapping sheet metal screw. He doesn’t like rivnuts because they can spin out, and once they do they are hard to remove & replace.
Clark in AZ wrote:Hey Paul,

How are you guys attaching your floorboards? Sheet metal screws, rivnuts? I'm thinking about rivnuts (don't think there is enough room on the tabs for lock plates) and I'm not crazy about sheet metal screws. Also, what are the dimensions and capacity of your header tank?

Thanks!
Clark
AV8R Paul
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Thanks for the feedback. Your plane looks fantastic! I'm sure you can't wait to fly it. Of course, keep the pics coming and video when you get it in the air!

Clark
Cave Creek, AZ
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Looking good. Progress is coming along nicely. Chris is working on the Accent Paint for the Tail Feathers, he should have those done tonight. He said it should be ready to go to the Airport next Week. I better get it in my head about flying in Circles.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Horizontal Stabilizer & Elevator
AV8R Paul

Return to “Just Aircraft”