AV8R Paul’s SuperSTOL XL

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Re: AV8R Paul’s SuperSTOL XL

Post by AV8R Paul »

This past week I worked with my A&P and finished up my Conditional Inspection. It’s a few months early, but I didn’t want to do it in July. I’m needing to get some touch ups done because I’m planning on going to Oshkosh, and I didn’t want to wait until July. I’ve also got a Flyin in March near Houston to got to. In April I want to go to Oklahoma to visit my Daughter & Son in Law. in May I’m cogitating on going to Valdez, so that will kill the better side of a month. So keep an eye pealed for my Purple Haze SuperSTOL XL, and an old man that looks like St Nicholas or Santa.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Hey Paul,

Any problems with the condition inspection? Sounds like you have a packed schedule!

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

Hi Paul. What flyin are you going to in Houston in March?

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Sandy Creek Flyin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I’m in Boerne Stage Field with Hugh Davis first time ever for two just Aircraft SuperSTOL to be on the field. There will be 2 at Boerne Stage field till Monday. I threw the alternator belt because the Alternator is locked up.

For those of you considering building a SuperSTOL or Highlander. When I was looking at the SuperSTOL, I was first thinking of getting a SuperSTOL with the Edge Performance Rotax with Electronic Ignition & Turbo. However, after having gone to the factory getting a ride in Troy’s XL, and looking at the engine, the biggest selling point for me was the location of the starter, & the alternator, along with the standard aircraft engine. Had this alternator failure or if the Sprag Clutch for the starter had been on a Rotax, the repair would have been to remove the engine, so you could pull the alternator, sprag clutch, or starter motor. I had a Sprag Clutch go out on my old Kitfox, I’m a Light Sport Repairman, so I Replaced it myself, after it failed in Tallahassee International. I had to trailer my Kitfox home because I couldn’t find a Mechanic in the area willing to work on it. With the Titan it extremely easy to pull the starter or the alternator, without removing the engine. The Boerne Stage Airport A&P, Bison Aviation, LLC was willing to work on a Titan, I asked them if they worked on Rotax and they said they did not. J.D. A&P IA and Cody Strack A&P from Bison Aviation LLC we both excellent, I would Highly Recommend them if you are ever Broken down in San Antonio Area. It is a relatively minor issue on on a Titan probably costing around $1000, a couple of days, wait on part and a couple of hours to swap. On a Rotax it would be several $1000, and 2 to 3 weeks to complete the repairs, waiting for parts and pulling the engine all while on the road. The $580 or so dollars for the Alternator is nothing compared to the expense I incurred on the Sprag Clutch for the Kitfox. I was a Engineer for years, and maintainability of the products is important to the end user. 2 of the most frequent failure modes on any engine are starters & alternators, and the ability to get them repaired on the road is important.

The other is that I was blessed to have had the failure sitting on the Tarmac, versus while flying.

I would highly recommend the Titan Engine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I drove back to San Antonio this morning to go pick up my SuperSTOL. It has a new alternator and v-Belt installed and it is back in the air. They got the part Saturday by noon, and it was installed and tested by noon today.

I asked the Bison Aviation if they would work on a Rotax they said no, if I had a Rotax 912ULS I would have had to trailer it back to remove the engine to replace the Alternator. I’m glad I Had a Titan, 4 hours at an A&P and it’s flying again. It’s my personal opinion, but I’m glad I got the Titan over the Rotax. I know there are a lot of people flying Rotax engines, but my decision to buy was predicated on repair time for three failure items: Sprag Clutch, Starter, & Alternator. Now I don’t like the fact that the Alternator Smoked at 94.8 hours (they are sending me a new one) but I liked the turn around time for the repair, and the fact that I didn’t have to go into Recovery Mode and haul the Plane home. So as my father would say, “Everyone is entitled to their own stupid opinion.”, and my stupid opinion is, I’m glad I got the Titan. :wink:

The photo is of some of the Texas Hill Country as I flew back. My ground speed for most of the Trip was 120 mph, a very nice tail wind. When I was landing at Mesquite the Tower told me 20 mph winds gusting to 29 mph. I sure do miss living in the Texas Hill Country, Dallas is like flying over a pancake.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

FYI, I will be heading to Alaska for the Great Alaskan Airman Adventure, then do some flying with Alaska Flats & Ski's, and then on to the Valdez Flyin.
I'll be in Anchorage, then Talkeetna, & then Valdez. If some of you Just Aircraft Builders & Flyers would like to go have a bite to eat, or to show me your project feel free to contact me.
I'm Flying upe on Alaska Airlines, on May 02, and returning to Texas June 15th.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Looks as if I will need to cancel my trip, a Death in the family.
AV8R Paul
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Sorry to hear that Paul
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Thanks Shawn, Aunt Doris was a great Lady.
She lived a good life of 96 years.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I thought I would add a photo of my new seats from Oregon Aero. These are Excellent the foam is just stiff enough> I flew from Mesquite to Boernie, Texas and back a round trip of about 575 miles. The have a built in lumbar support for the back, and with the thicker foam base, I can see nicely over the Instrument panel.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I just sent an PM to Pierre about the Plenums used on the Titan Engine. I sent him these photos to show him how they work, and I just had to post it for our fellow Just Aircraft down South in Australia. Their Company name is “Just” so damned appropriate, “Just A Hoot SuperSTOL”.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Well I’ve landed back in Mesquite Texas, after Oshkosh. I stopped off at a friend’s home in Hugo Oklahoma on the way. Rodney has been working on his personal airstrip. I beat him to making the first Landing and Take Off.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I decided to try VGs on top of the Horizontal Stabilizer. I installed them 4 inches in front of the hinge, according to the http://www.STOLspeed.com instructions. With the added weight of the airfoil, it was a little slow to picking up the tail for takeoff, especially if I had any baggage in the back of the plane. I hope this helps with picking up the tail. If it does I’m going to try spacing the VGs on the bottom of the Horizontal Stabilizers, with the same 4” forward of the hinge center. I’ve order more of the STOLspeed adhesive pads, I can’t do both sides of the bottom until I get a few more sheets
AV8R Paul
mac
Seasoned Member

Post by mac »

Paul - Have you had a chance to fly with this new VG arrangement yet? Interested in results!
Mark M.
N49SS in Phase 2....for good!

Return to “Just Aircraft”