Oratex is like Yoga Pants

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Post by CanadianSheepHunter »

This is my first 3 tacks at the very Center bay on the sheet metal(with heat gun). This is the bottom of the Superstol flap.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Bottom of flap again, in this pic now two Center bays are tacked to the sheet metal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Bottom of same flap again now with 3 bays tacked to sheet metal.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Same flap bottom with Oratex tacked to sheet metal at 4 bays now.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Same flap now with 5 bays tacked to sheet metal on bottom of flap. And the flap brackets now cut open.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Same flap now tacked on bottom to sheet metal at 6 bays. Only the two bays nearest me to tack now, then the very ends.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Same flap now only the bay nearest me needs the Oratex tacked to sheet metal on bottom.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Same flap now all bays tacked to sheet metal on bottom. Ends not tacked yet.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Same flap bottom now with both ends tacked down(I tack to end ribs with iron only). Sheet metal now tacked more toward leading edge with heat gun only...taking very SMALL bites as i went toward leading edge. All bays on bottom now sound like a drum when tapped with fingers. I will shrink all this 24 hrs from now.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Same flap with leading edge/sheet metal now fully tacking the full diameter of flap up to the seam where i started. Now i will go over the sheet metal skins with heat gun/felt again and then iron/felt on sheet metal. Then i will lay down two layers of Oratex glue on my overlap of Oratex on Oratex on the top side of flap...this will be hidden in flap cove. I did this all by myself but certainly a helper would be great. I posted these pics today as i was doing it. Turned out nice, only had to fight a couple small crinkles on leading edge and sheet metal.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Same flap top side with Oratex on sheet metal ironed/rubbed with felt...you can see how the fabric pulled up from shrinking and i only ironed the sheet metal on this side so far and that tightened up the fabric on the bays some(i will iron /shrink the bays in 24 hrs)
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Looks great!

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Same flap top side sheet metal ironed/rubbed with felt. You can see how the iron shrunk/pulled the once straight line on leading edge sheet metal...but that’s ok it will be in flap cove and hard to see. I will install the reinforce tapes and rivet just the very end rib on each end before i shrink bays 24 hrs from now.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Same flap, bottom side with sheet metal ironed and rubbed with felt, which tightened up the rear bays, i will be shrinking the bays tomorrow after the 24 hr wait.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Clark in AZ wrote:Looks great!

Clark
Thank You...you definitely dont want to rush tacking it onto the sheet metal...took me all day...posting pics gave my hands a break lol...takes some muscle to stretch it tight when its cold.

Return to “Just Aircraft”