Oratex is like Yoga Pants

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
BDA
Veteran Member

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Post by BDA »

I did left and right - 2 piece purely for cost savings. One whole length of fuselage saved = almost $700 on an XL.

I also used #2 grade fabric that was 20% cheaper, so I do have defects, planned for and cut out the major ones, but there are some imperfections.

Perhaps you could make the case that you got #2 grade and get 20% back??
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

I talked to Lars about the wax and why it makes no visible difference on the fabric.

He said the wax is for protection and ease of cleaning, not for making the fabric look different.
He also said that it is VERY difficult to get it off if you have to patch the fabric later.
Tape will NOT stick to it.

Soooooo, I have some Oratex wax for sale real cheap if anyone wants it.

On another note, I used some tape that I have had now for 3 years, it went on the same as it did new, and has stayed on.
So the shelf life problem seems like a non issue now

I do find a corner or edge on my tape here and there that is not stuck down well - did not get enough heat.

There is just no way to know if I have heated enough by looking at the tape - unless - you heat the tape until the tape shrinks - which makes the edge wavey, it is impossible to shrink it all the same amount and keep it straight.

Lars said it is because I am doing it wrong - but his way you cannot be sure it is bonded.

I think the next time I use oratex tape I will use the pinked edge so it is harder to see the wavey edge.
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Hey Shawn, I saw your pix on the picture thread of your SS outside. How is it coming? any time frame for inspection and FF?

Cheers,
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Hi Bruce!

Yes I plan to fly in the next week or so depending on the FAA inspection.

I am away at work at the moment - or that would have already happened.

The picture was right after the wings went on, hadn't finished the stipes or done any rigging yet, no turtle deck or doors etc., just had to memorialize the moment.
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Contemplating using the Oratex fabric for the control stick boot.

It should be plenty flexible, and light.

I might even order the new black color to do that with...

Does anyone have a boot pattern they will share?
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
EchoWhiskey
Seasoned Member

Post by EchoWhiskey »

A few things. I figured out my heat gun was getting to temp. I think its because of voltage drop. My barn is about 600' from my house. Within minutes of figuring this out the fan croaked. Steinel is repairing under warranty. so i pulled out the wagner heat gun and figured out a lot more area can be coverred in much less time but you must maintain separation AND movement or you will burn a hole.

Anyhow, i restrerched a section and went over it all with heat and resolved most of it. The remaining impeimperfections are not apparent so I am moving along.

My big mistake was stretching wrinkles first. BIG NO NO.
I wont do that again.
Ed Whitaker
Humble Novice

What do you get when things don't go as planned? Experience.
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Ya Ed I did that too, its hard to look at those big wrinkles and not do something about them right away!

Going back to inspection rings...
I had to add one I forgot for the tailshock - so I used the thick gel superglue because I was afraid of runs, did not use near enough because I did not want it to ooze out all over. So there was a visible void all the way around the ring inside and out. I let that cure then I went around the inside edge with the Super thin super glue I got from spruce and it worked perfectly!!!
And this is vertical!

I wish I had used the super thin stuff from the beginning, it wicks right in, then travels around the ring, doesnt run out unless you just get stupid with the amount.

So - lesson learned, use the super thin stuff!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Thanks Shawn! I was just about to add the 2 rings around the Elevator/Stabilizer exit. I bought both the gel and thin. Now I know.

Cheers!
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
EchoWhiskey
Seasoned Member

Post by EchoWhiskey »

Anyone about to take the plunge, i have an unopened liter of adhesive that has been kept in the thermal box. It is dated 6-5-20, but I believe it to be fine. If interested lmk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed Whitaker
Humble Novice

What do you get when things don't go as planned? Experience.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Post by CanadianSheepHunter »

kenryan wrote:I did my inspection rings completely differently. First I marked where I wanted it with blue tape. Next I applied a thin bead of THICK super glue to the ring. Finally I carefully pressed the ring into place. The glue immediately spreads out nicely under the entire ring. That's how I did it. Worked good for me.

Just curious if there was a reason you used Blue tape?...any masking tape would work correct ?
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

BDA wrote:I have a couple corrections to make:

Early on I mentioned that pencil marks are worthless for marking the backside of the silver fabric because it just blends in - but I have found that a heavy line with a carpenters pencil works well

When uncovering my stabilizers I found that where I used the Iron AFTER the heat gun the fabric was nearly impossible to remove without ALOT OF HEAT - but where I did not come back with the iron, for watever reason, those parts I was able to pull the fabric off with a moderate amount of force WITHOUT heat.
Use the iron after the heat gun EVERY TIME.
Apparently a fabric pencil that ladies use for dress making works well for marking
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

BDA wrote:Well, I changed my mind on wraping the interior w Oratex.

So now I have to do it standing on my head with one arm held ind the most awkward position possible.
I highly recomend doing the bagage area FIRST!

So cutting and fitting around the joints and other stuff is extremely difficult upside down.
When was the last time you used scissors w your left hand?

Had to be EXTRA CAREFUL w that razor blade too!

Looks really good tho- gotta DO IT!
Whats your reasons for using the Oratex on the inside of Baggage area...mainly extra protection for the outside fabric?
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

CanadianSheepHunter wrote:
kenryan wrote:I did my inspection rings completely differently. First I marked where I wanted it with blue tape. Next I applied a thin bead of THICK super glue to the ring. Finally I carefully pressed the ring into place. The glue immediately spreads out nicely under the entire ring. That's how I did it. Worked good for me.

Just curious if there was a reason you used Blue tape?...any masking tape would work correct ?
Yes. It's just to temporarily mark where you want the ring to be glued.
Super Stol Kit #299
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

CanadianSheepHunter wrote:
BDA wrote:I have a couple corrections to make:

Early on I mentioned that pencil marks are worthless for marking the backside of the silver fabric because it just blends in - but I have found that a heavy line with a carpenters pencil works well

When uncovering my stabilizers I found that where I used the Iron AFTER the heat gun the fabric was nearly impossible to remove without ALOT OF HEAT - but where I did not come back with the iron, for watever reason, those parts I was able to pull the fabric off with a moderate amount of force WITHOUT heat.
Use the iron after the heat gun EVERY TIME.
Apparently a fabric pencil that ladies use for dress making works well for marking
I was surprised to learn that you can mark the back side with a regular black sharpie (at least on the silver fabric, don't know about other colors).
Super Stol Kit #299
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Thanks, Im going through this entire thread to get ready to do the original trim tab for practice(the flying tail came with a different trim tab). And i think i have enough fabric to do the baggage side interior like Shawn did too.

Return to “Just Aircraft”