First Highlander

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
alan
Veteran Member

First Highlander

Post by alan »

I've been wondering for a while when the first Highlander was shipped and what the serial number is. I know the first Highlanders used the Escapade numbers and only changed to the new series later.

Anybody know?

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
dauckjl
Seasoned Member

Re: First Highlander

Post by dauckjl »

Our Escapade was Serial Number 37 and we picked it up from the factory in Caldwell in February 2004.

They had a fuselage in the warehouse area that Troy was going to put a bigger wing and tail on. It became the first Highlander and was at OSH that summer.

It doesn't exactly answer your question but hope it helps.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

What are they up to now? I have 242 and picked it up September 2011 (and it's STILL not done!)
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Mine is Highlander #393 Picked up in OCT 2014. And mine isn't even close to done yet. BUT I've put in more time in the last 3 months than the 24 before it. Hopefully, attending OSH will give me the boost to keep going. It was good to meet you there Dane!
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

If the info on the old Google Map of the Just Aircraft Owners is accurate, Gil Tucker may have number 28, which is the lowest I have seen. If the Highlander was under development when #37 Escapade came off the line maybe Gil converted his afterward to a Highlander before it was finished. If so, it's likely the first one completed as a Highlander. https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... bpiQUrw&ie

By the way, #241 (mine) was ordered 2011, finished 2013 and now has almost 350 hours on it... most of that since I put the floats on it. Unfortunately, I didn't make it to Oshkosh as planned this year due to a pinhole leak in the radiator that I discovered the day before I would have left. Rad shop advised it was not repairable due to the location of the hole so I ordered a new one, which took several days to arrive. Bummer!

Dan
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

Thanks for the input guys. I picked up #87 in August of 2005. She first flew in July of 2006 and now has 760 hours. Gary told me they were pushing the Highlander as their new product so I ordered that instead of the Escapade.

Keep those stories coming. Maybe the first "customer built from the start Highlander as a Highlander" will surface.

Thank you,

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.

Return to “Just Aircraft”