Header Tank Sight Gauge

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Re: Header Tank Sight Gauge

Post by AV8R Paul »

My new new header tank. It’s about 4.5 Gallons. I have also added shut off valves and back flow valves. Now to go test it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Not sure why the check valves, they may be a problem.

Unless you have a way for air to leave the header through a dedicated vent line, it is possible for the header to get low then as it tries to fill the air escaping the main lines closes the check valves and you get nothing.

This can be a problem WITHOUT check valves. Are you concerned about cross-feeding between wings? If you NEED check valves for such a reason (parking on a slope?) you should run a dedicated header tank vent (which is a good idea in any case).

Nice looking tank, though. Did Just build it?
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

BDA wrote:
Tralika wrote:Here's another float ball from Univair. No diameter listed, it looks like 1/4".

http://www.univair.com/piper/piper-pa-1 ... loat-ball/
Has anyone used one of these float balls?

which one?
I had a sight gauge on my previous header tank and used a red oblong plastic pea that I bought from Bear Perkins http://www.bearperkins.com/ He sells parts for powered parachutes. I just took a look at his web site and it looks like he may have sold out to another dealer. His catalog is no longer shown on the site. The pea in the sight gauge worked OK, made it easy to see the fuel level, but it wasn't easy to twist around and see the sight gauge in flight. The attached photo is low resolution but you can see the pea at the bottom of the sight gauge. I've since replaced that header tank with a larger tank with internal fuel pumps and a fuel level sender so I have a fuel level gauge on the panel. Big improvement.

I think I still have a pair of those peas, you can have them if you want them. I think they were for 1/4" tubing. You'll have to wait till I get back to town though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Thanks John That would be great!

I have found a few others but hard to verify if they will fit in 1/4" hose and /or compatible w fuel.

Paul, I though about using check valves as well -but I have no vent line at this time so cant take the chance of having them stop the air from getting back to the tank. I am still looking for a small 3/8" valve that will work if I park on a hill or Beach.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

You are correct about needing the vent line. I just tested it and you have to break a fitting loose to release the air so the fuel can flow. I didn’t think about that situation. I do have a 1/8 tapped hole in the top of the tank, but I think I’ll pull the check valve and check it off as a bad idea. I also have small shut off valves on both feed lines to the header tank, that way when I need to clean the fuel filters or replace the O-Ring on the sump drain I can easily drain the header tank.

One of those colored floats is a damned good idea. I wish I would have moved my sight gauge over to that side.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Float Balls fore fuel sight gauge. My old Kitfox had some floats they were long cylindrical style. They floated vertically in the Wing tank sight gauges, and would stick every now and again. I have wanted them on my SuperSTOL ever since we completed it. I found a set of 5.9 MM Plastic BALL Floats at a Expresso Company. I have ordered some, and as soon as they show up I will test them in some fuel. and then I plan on adding one to each Wing tank and the Header Tank. I think the BALL will prevent the sticking issue.
AV8R Paul
ArnieM524

Post by ArnieM524 »

Univair sells fuel float balls, p/n U10853-000. They appear to be 1/4”

Arnie M Highlander XL 524
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

[/quote]I wish I would have moved my sight gauge over to that side.[/quote]

Paul,
I'd be concerned about the sight gauge being unprotected on that side of the header tank. It's really vulnerable to being snagged and pulled off by something loose in the baggage area. Even if your not in flight, you could snag it while loading or unloading baggage and at least make a big mess with spilled fuel. At worst it starts a fire. If you think it's too late to move it now I can think of a couple of options.

Make a guard for it. I know a Super STOL builder that made a guard for his sight gauge from a piece of aluminum square tubing. He made a big cut out on one side, not all the way to the ends, so he could view the fuel level. I don't remember how he secured it over the fittings on each end but you could probably figure out a way.

Remove the sight gauge and replace it with an electronic fuel probe and a panel mounted gauge. This is what I ended up doing and I'm very pleased with it. Unless you (unlike me) are very flexible, that sight gauge is going to difficult to see in flight. Your going to have to be able to see almost directly behind you. If you haven't already tried I suggest you strap yourself into the pilot seat and try it. I think you'll find your vision is very limited at that angle making it unlikely you'll be able to see the fuel level. You can see a panel mounted gauge at a glance which means you'll be much more likely to notice if the level in your header tank is going down. Here's a link to a fuel level sending unit from Aircraft Spruce. Obviously this not the cheapest solution. The good solutions rarely are.

Good luck,
John

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... ey=1452641
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Hey John, I've been considering an electronic warning system of some kind for awhile. Can you post a pic or two of your installation? Does this fit into the 1/8" hole for the sight gauge, at the bottom side of the tank? I'm guessing you just put a plug in the top sight gauge hole? How do you calibrate it for the amount of liquid in the tank? Any information would be great!

I like it because it doesn't have any moving parts. It is pricey though...

Thanks,
Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

Clark,
I'm not using the Belite system, I was offering that as an option. The Belite system mounts on the top of the tank in a 1/8" pipe thread hole and it can use a 1/4" adapter. There's a video on the Belite website that shows how to calibrate it. They also have some sensors that will detect a predetermined fuel level which are a lot cheaper. I bought a Belite liquid detector but never used it. The system I'm using I bought as a finished product. It has two internal fuel pumps and a float type fuel level sensor. It was really pricey but I bit the bullet and installed it. I'm a lot happier with the new system. The fuel pumps are lighter and use a lot less power. I removed one pound of fuel line when I got rid of the old plumbing to the fuel pumps which included return a return line to the header tank. The tank is 2.5 gal.

The Belite system is not cheap. You may be able to shop around and find an alternative. There's lots of products available for the race car market which are high quality and might work for you. There's always one more thing to buy for these planes. I'm going to replace the bungees with shocks this spring. That's another big bite but what the heck, it's only money.
Take care,
John
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Ok John, thanks for the response. I'll do some more research...

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ

Return to “Just Aircraft”