Wild West Aircraft

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Re: Wild West Aircraft

Post by SheepdogRD »

FlyerChief wrote:Will your "Extreme Windshield" be available for retrofit into existing Highlanders and SuperSTOLs or just new builds?
Is installation similar to the methods used for the molded "Steve Dentz" version?
Thanks,
Dan
We think it can be retrofitted onto some 914-style cowling installations, depending on how they were originally installed, but we haven't done that yet. It appears that 912-style cowlings would have to be replaced. We've developed a 914-style lower cowling with a radiator scoop that should be a good replacement for 912 lower cowlings, and we're developing a "universal" upper cowling to go with the windshield.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

SheepdogRD wrote:... It appears that 912-style cowlings would have to be replaced.
Well, let me backtrack on that. I just tried to put the back part of a 912 upper cowling on N570L. I thought there would be a big problem in compatibility of the corners with the new boot cowl, but it came out surprisingly well. We 'll see if we can make this work with a 912 cowling.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

My new EpEX Yamaha engine has made it from Norway to Ohio, I sure hope it makes it to Nampa today or tomorrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Christmas in June! :D

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Gee Steve, I wish I would have know it was going to land in Ohio. Moving2Time, Blue Max, and I would have scheduled a "Road Trip" and brought it to you! :wink:

I can't wait to see it run.
Cheers
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I finally got my new Edge Performance Yamaha EPeX engine and it is as awesome as I was hoping it would be!!
I’ve never been in an airplane that accelerates like this does, it makes incredible power and thrust! It’s a lot of work getting it all installed and the cowling all figured out and all that’s involved in this short time but I think I’m gonna make it to Oshkosh with it. If for some reason I just don’t feel like it’s safe to make the trip with then I will be going in Yeehaw 6, just like last year.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

How time flies! I can hardly believe it’s been a month since Oshkosh! I did fly my new Yeehaw 7 to Oshkosh and it worked very well, I finished a very very close second place in the stol competition and I won Reserve Grand Champion for the way I built this airplane! They told me I won it because of the quality of the way I built it and because of the innovation with the different things I did with it that are not standard things to do when building a Highlander.
I do like my new scratch built wings but not nearly enough to think it’s worth all the extra effort. With just a couple simple modifications the standard Highlander wing is pretty hard to beat!

I have been really enjoying this new Edge Performance EPeX Yamaha turbo charged engine! It’s not turned up to 300 horse power yet but I’m sure it’s well up into the 200s. It does things like climbing out at 2500+ feet per minute at 100 miles an hour just a few seconds after being at a dead stop on the runway with 4000’ density altitude on the ground. It just accelerates incredibly hard! I’m going to be competing in the stol drag races at the Reno Air Races the 11th through the 15th of this month and I think this airplane is going to be super competitive!

So far I’ve flown Yeehaw7 33 hours with a stock Yamaha Apex engine and another 95 with the turbo Yamaha engine in it.
Jentree

Post by Jentree »

Congratulations Steve on another great build! Since my wife Sunday and I met with you at your home base in April of 2018 we have sold our Cirrus and are getting some farm improvements done with plans to build a highlander after a few projects are done including a hangar near one of the fields. I’ve really enjoyed watching The Yamaha Apex and epex progress. I need to check Facebook to see if any new videos are posted. I was curious what the weight of the epex turned out to be compared to the apex. And if you ever have plans to fly into the southern Oregon area I would like you to look at the field I plan on using for the airstrip. I’m pretty sure you would have no problems on a field this size. I would imagine that I would need to get comfortable with the Highlander before landing here. In other words I’m wondering if it would be foolish to fly on and off my pasture. Thanks and God bless you.
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Thanks for the update Steve. Go get'em at the STOL Drags...

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Jentree wrote:Congratulations Steve on another great build! Since my wife Sunday and I met with you at your home base in April of 2018 we have sold our Cirrus and are getting some farm improvements done with plans to build a highlander after a few projects are done including a hangar near one of the fields. I’ve really enjoyed watching The Yamaha Apex and epex progress. I need to check Facebook to see if any new videos are posted. I was curious what the weight of the epex turned out to be compared to the apex. And if you ever have plans to fly into the southern Oregon area I would like you to look at the field I plan on using for the airstrip. I’m pretty sure you would have no problems on a field this size. I would imagine that I would need to get comfortable with the Highlander before landing here. In other words I’m wondering if it would be foolish to fly on and off my pasture. Thanks and God bless you.
I have a pasture that I fly my J3-C85 Cub off of. I plowed and disked it (a lot ), then painted a good triple fescue. I have a 1000' by 100' with a 400' overrun runway. Then 200 ft to a tree-line. Power lines are at the opposite end. The runway slopes downhill away from the power lines, so I treat it as a oneway runway with the Cub, and some days I can't fly. My Highlander, however (when It flies) will almost be able to takeoff across the runway. 8)

So, I don't think you'll have any problem.

Cheers,
Bruce
Builder web site:
Jentree

Post by Jentree »

I have about 900ft of flat(ish) pasture with about 300ft of uphill sloping overrun steep enough you would have to back down if you ever needed to use it. I’ll try to post a screenshot shot of the approach and coordinates.
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

That would be great! I’m sure we would all love to offer our opinion.
Cheers!
Builder web site:
Jentree

Post by Jentree »

789DD775-160D-4863-819B-16937814F3C5.png
Touchdown zone is the green pasture
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jentree

Post by Jentree »

On Google Earth the TDZ is 43*03’10”N 123*32’38”W
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

I went to Google earth with your coordinates and measured your front pasture. Depending on orientation, I got 630 to 740 feet. It does appear the there is a hill to the left (West?). You could use the the runway as a 1 way in other way out. Or accept that you will fly over the road and possibly your neighbor's house.

I stoped flying My Cub out of my farm strip last year due to the fact that there was a 20 second window, that if I had an engine failure, I was going into the trees. I no longer find these odds acceptable. My Highlander will be able to fly out of here as It will gain enough altitude over the runway to glide over the trees at the end of my runway.

Good Luck,
Bruce
Builder web site:

Return to “Just Aircraft”