IVO inflight ajustable 912s

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Redeye
Forum Regular

IVO inflight ajustable 912s

Post by Redeye »

I'm trying to make a decision on what prop to buy for 912s. I have made up my mind to go with IVO inflight ajust but unsure if I should get the ultalight 72" 3 blade at 9.5 lbs or medium 70" 3 blade at 19 lbs. Ivo says I will get prop stall at roll out with the ultralight but they sell lots for 912s. I dont like the weight increase of the medium.
The medium seems like it would be alot more durable.
Does anyone have experience with the medium on the 912??
I did talk to Steve long ago and he said he had ran the ultalight and really liked it.

Any expert words of wisdom would be great :shock:

Thanks
James
Karl

Re: IVO inflight ajustable 912s

Post by Karl »

Hello James,
Excuse the delay on this info.
We flew behind the inflight adjustable 70" ivo prop until this december when we tested and liked, for our flying, the Aerolux ground adjustable 68 ". We have the 912ul with mechanical fuel,injection.
Below (hopefully) is a link to video of a flight with the ivo.

I did like the inflight adjustment feature, and the reason for our switch was we found ourselves staying in climb pitch most of the time.

Hope this info helps
Karl

http://youtu.be/HjMhshB8Ugs
Gil T
Veteran Member

Post by Gil T »

Maybe I'm missing something but does'nt an inflight adjustable take it out of the relmn of light sport? Or is that just pilot requirements?

Gil T
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Yes it does :(
Steve D N419LD
Redeye
Forum Regular

Post by Redeye »

I did end up buying the 72" ivo patriot in flight adjust.
Now just need to finish plane so I can put it to the test.
I'm registering as experimental in Canada and have PPL so
It's all fare game..
Karl

Post by Karl »

Good,
You'll enjoy it. The folks at Ivo are helpful, we called with a few questions about desired static rpm, and the optimum length of the prop for the horsepower, (which you can trim down yourself). We trimmed a litlle off our 70" 'Ivo Ultralight' prop with great results, with your 912uls the 72" 'Ivo Patriot' prop is a good match/starting point.
Keep plugging away at the build! You'll do great
Kind Regards
Karl
rmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rmullins »

I've been flying the lightweight IVO adjustable for a couple years. I started with the ground adjustable Kiev prop. The Kiev is still the smoothest prop I have ever used, and even with it set a bit north of best climb, it still out climbs the IVO set to max climb. The light weight IVO is way more flexible than any other prop I've seen on a 912. I've watched other people fly it and as it goes by it amazing how much the blades are curved forward and I think that is what hurts the performance. However it is nice when I'm in a hurry to be able to firewall the throttle and adjust the blades to get the RPM I want.
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

sorry to go off topic, but it's related, I highly recommend a dynamic balance whichever type of propeller you use. If you have a prop with the performance you want but it's not as smooth as you like it will make a big difference.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview

Return to “Just Aircraft”