pulley bushing

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
ScottieB
Forum Regular

pulley bushing

Post by ScottieB »

Hey guys,
Thought you might be interested in a problem I had, and the way it was solved. I'm gonna try to include some pictures of it if I can learn how to. Right behind the seats on both sides of the fuselage are some bushings that are for attaching the cable pulleys going to the ailerons. On my airplane, the bushing extended far enough to the outward side that it caused the nut (when put in place) to press against the fabric. This can be solved by removing a small amount of the length of that bushing before the fuselage is covered and before the pulley is mounted. It would be nearly impossible to do this after the fuselage is covered without damaging the covering. Johnny C. had the same dilemma with his plane.
Like I said, I'm gonna try to include some pictures of this, and in the picture I have installed a bolt with the threads showing. If you do decide to make this alteration, keep a couple things in mind - #1 - grind on the end of the bushing where the nut goes, NOT the end that the pulley sits against. #2 - If you make the bushing shorter, then the bolt supplied in the kit will be a little too long, so you'll have to change it. Hope this helps someone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xpflyr
Veteran Member

Re: pulley bushing

Post by xpflyr »

Can't you just put the bolt in the other end?
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Scott,
Nice write up.

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
ScottieB
Forum Regular

Post by ScottieB »

After the plane is covered there's not enough room to squeeze the bolt in there between the covering and the bushing. If you install the pulley before you cover, then it's in the way when you're trying to do your upholstery. Much easier to simply grind the bushing down a little before you cover the fuselage IF you're aware of the problem beforehand. That's why I wanted to give you guys a "heads up".
xpflyr
Veteran Member

Post by xpflyr »

ScottieB wrote:After the plane is covered there's not enough room to squeeze the bolt in there between the covering and the bushing. If you install the pulley before you cover, then it's in the way when you're trying to do your upholstery. Much easier to simply grind the bushing down a little before you cover the fuselage IF you're aware of the problem beforehand. That's why I wanted to give you guys a "heads up".
Understood and thanks!
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

Great and thanks for the heads up. About how much did you take off of the bushing?
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

I don't remember having this problem. Next time I am out at the hangar I will look what I did.
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
ScottieB
Forum Regular

Post by ScottieB »

I removed about 3/16" from mine. You could remove as much as you want as long as you don't grind into the tube that it's welded to. Make sure to leave a nice "square" end on the bushing for the nut to seat against.
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Since mine was covered when I ran into
this, I bought some locknuts, that I call
squeeze nuts. They were thinner than a
nylock.
I intend to put that on my once a month
preflight, just to keep an eye on them.

I

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I realize this is an OLD thread, but I forgot about it before I covered. I am going to try to use a dremel with a cut-off wheel and trim the bushing without burning the fabric off. The other option is using an AN320 low-profile castle nut and drilling a cotter pin hole very close to the end of a non-drilled bolt.

I need to think it over...
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

danerazz wrote:I realize this is an OLD thread, but I forgot about it before I covered. I am going to try to use a dremel with a cut-off wheel and trim the bushing without burning the fabric off.
Wet towels under and around the cutting area will protect the fabric. It might be easier to use the castle nut, your not going to be removing that pulley very often.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon

Return to “Just Aircraft”