Streamline Wire Rods for tail section

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
EchoWhiskey
Seasoned Member

Re: Streamline Wire Rods for tail section

Post by EchoWhiskey »

My CFI gave me a video to watch about flying a taildragger. The video was of a CFI teaching someone to fly. One of the clips showed the horizontal stab in the background. At full power at initial power up for take off, that stab was bouncing around in what one could easily conclude was 'an unhealthy manner'. Perhaps there wasn't enough tension in the wires. Perhaps the fact that the wire is 'wound' allows for the wire to relieve understess. Either way, what about rods?

Regardless, I know of at least a few birds using rods. I realize this is a more costly proposition. A little research revealed cold rolled threads are preferred over cut.

Does any one have any conclusive information on why one SHOULDN't use rods over wire?

I have found someone that will provide all the rods with colled rolled threads for 400, which would make the all-in around 500-600.

Cost aside, why not?
Ed Whitaker
Humble Novice

What do you get when things don't go as planned? Experience.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

In the end I stayed with the true and tried wires. Not a problem, tightening them occasionally. Over 10 years flying now and no issues.
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Post by CanadianSheepHunter »

Dave Krall CFII SEL SES wrote:There's been previous discussion on this.
I was told a few years ago that the empenage airframe was made to "give a little" under flying loads and that streamline rod is too ridgid for the Highlander tailfeathers, thereby transfering too much load too abruptly to the airframe.

Makes sense to me, so I've never thought the streamline rod "looked" good on a Highlander.
Would that be the same for a Superstol??
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Post by CanadianSheepHunter »

CanadianSheepHunter wrote:
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES wrote:There's been previous discussion on this.
I was told a few years ago that the empenage airframe was made to "give a little" under flying loads and that streamline rod is too ridgid for the Highlander tailfeathers, thereby transfering too much load too abruptly to the airframe.

Makes sense to me, so I've never thought the streamline rod "looked" good on a Highlander.
Would that be the same for a Superstol??
Would this be the same for the Superstol?...has anyone used the rods on a Superstol ?

Return to “Just Aircraft”