SS XL Titan Cowling

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
BDA
Veteran Member

SS XL Titan Cowling

Post by BDA »

I am almost finished with my Titan cowling and since there is nothing in the manual about it, thought I would share all of the tips that I got from Chris on how to get it done. I hope they are paying him for all the tech advice he is giving. Seriously, he is so helpful. Since the factory always seems to be closed when I am working (Alaska time).

So, first things first, cut to all the scribe lines, they are amazingly accurate. Do the plenum scoops too.

Fit the plenums to the engine.

Then find an 8” diameter circle, drill a hole in the center.

Drill and cleco the top cowl and the boot cowl together at the overlap, 5 or 6 holes evenly spaced

With the flywheel on the engine fit the bottom cowl to the plane, line the bottom corners of the cowl to the line that the tubing makes. Drill and cleco Center punch the plug in the crankshaft. Put your 8” circle over the top of bottom cowl and center to the punch mark in the crank. Trace the circle to the cowl. It will be too small.

The short engine mount will mean that the cowl will be a little too long. Scoot it back to the flywheel to mark circle, then cut it out. Then scoot it back to the correct clearance from the flywheel.

You may want a larger hole, mine is 8.75”, but is a little too big - dont ask.

Set the assembled upper and boot cowl on the engine / airplane, mark with circle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
BDA
Veteran Member

Re: SS XL Titan Cowling

Post by BDA »

Fit should be close, but no friction
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Getting the bottom cowling in the right spot is tricky and takes time, dont rush it, dont be afraid to move and redrill.

The bottom cowl locates the top cowl, so it has to be high enough in the front for the top to clear and for the top to engage the plenum correctly.

If you cut the initial hole for the prop flange a little small, you will be able to adjust and recenter if needed.
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Put the top cowl andboot cowl together on a table, use the overlap joint to help line everything up, and use a straightedge to check. Drill and cleco.

Put the assembly on the engine and bottom cowl to cut the flange hole and adjust fit.
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

The front corners where the top meets the bottom have to be sanded to fit well. I used a dremel with a coarse sanding drum to thin the inside of the corners that dont show.

I also cut down the corners of the inlet corners on the bottom cowl so there was not as much to interfere.

This is difficult and frustrating if you want a perfect joint here. Take your time tho.

Make sure to put a straight edge across the prop flange and measure back to the corners of thecowl to get it square with the engine.

AND straight edge up and down to measure back to the flat on the nose of the cowling.

More pics later
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Retter

Post by Retter »

Looking great man. Subscribed
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Thanks!
I will post more completed pics when back home again.

I was suprised by how nice these cowling pieces are. The gelcoat is very nice, the shape is very nice, the scribe lines are very accurate.

Only gripe would be the fit of the inlet corners on the nose. If there were instructions on how to fit the corners it would be nonissue. Nervewracking cutting up a $2,000 piece that has to look perfect, by guess and bygolly.

A thought to those that have not ordered an engine yet... I heard (from the factory) that the factory is going to test a larger carb on the Titan, (4-5) instead of (SPA) that is standard. The (spa) is standard on other 160hp engines, (4-5) is standard on 180+ hp engines. This would require a diff carb heat box and diff air inlet opening in cowl.
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Retter

Post by Retter »

Good tips about the engine update. Enjoy

Return to “Just Aircraft”