Sagging Windscreen Brace

For general discussion of the Kolb family of aircraft.
Includes: Firefly, Firestar, Mark III C, Mark III X, Kolbra, Sport 600, Slingshot, Twinstar Mark II, and Ultrastar
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Sagging Windscreen Brace

Post by planecrazzzy »

Hey Guys,

You might have read about the trouble I had with my Windscreen on my second flight....  :shock:

Someday I'll make a "Full enclosure" , but for now I put a brace in the windscreen.... :idea:

I cut the Aluminum Tubing at 4' 10" and bent it around something 15" Dia.  :?

I put some tape on the Lexan to make my marks....  :?:

I used 1/8" SS rivets , and I drilled the Lexan bigger ( 5/32 )  :)

Afterwards I pulled off the tape , some of the adhesive stayed on...  :evil:

I cleaned it off with Mineral Spirits.... :)

Then I cleaned the whole windscreen with some of my disposable CD cleaner cloths....( Rubbing Alcohol )  :D

It cleaned it VERY GOOD and didn't scratch it....  :wink:

Here's some Pictures.... :arrow:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sometimes you just have to take the leap
and build your wings on the way down...
                Gotta Fly...
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

More Pictures

Post by planecrazzzy »

Here's the rest of the pictures...

Gotta Fly...
                                                               Mike in MN  /  N381PM
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
                Gotta Fly...
DrHook

Post by DrHook »

Hi, Mike
That sure is a good lookin little airplane you got. I checked out your building Log on your website.
Nice Job.
I am in the process of re-building a Firestar, and some day I hope it looks something like yours. It got flipped over in a wind storm, and damaged the left wing, elevator, & rudder.
Here are some pics of the Fixer upper I just started working on. Theres more info on my Introduction post.
Right now, I am trying to figure out a good way to remove the rivets, from the hinges, without distorting the whole size, so that when I go to re-cover I can use the same wholes with new hinges. Would you happen to know a good way to do this?
I also need to remove the old polytak that is on the surface. Any suggestions on solvents or stripper that will clean the gunk off?
Thanks, Chris
If you want something done, the way you want it done, Do it Yourself!!!
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Post by planecrazzzy »

Hi Chris,
            MEK is what you need for that "poly tac " clean up...... It's what you'll use later to "thin" the Glue
and I also used it to "thin" my Poly color coats....Special care should be taken....Get a GOOD charcoal resperator
and when you start to "smell" the MEK....Change the filters.....It's some BAD brain killin shit........

MEK  -  Methal Ethal Keytone  ( my spelling is probly NOT right )  Not all hardware stores have it...Look around

Rivets.....Go to the Kolb List and throw the question out there......Post these pictures too....and YES, you want to use the SAME holes..... Do you have the Blueprints AND the Builders Manual  ????

Also, here's an address for Stits process, "Poly" supplies
http://www.polyfiber.com/where/

Somebody that all the Kolb Guys like , and call for help is at that site.....He's Jim....Real helpful and Friendly...

www.aircrafttechsupport.com

Well,
         Sounds like you'll be busy for a while...

Gotta Fly...
                                                                                   Mike in MN  / N381PM

DrHook wrote:Hi, Mike
That sure is a good lookin little airplane you got. I checked out your building Log on your website.
Nice Job.
I am in the process of re-building a Firestar, and some day I hope it looks something like yours. It got flipped over in a wind storm, and damaged the left wing, elevator, & rudder.
Here are some pics of the Fixer upper I just started working on. Theres more info on my Introduction post.
Right now, I am trying to figure out a good way to remove the rivets, from the hinges, without distorting the whole size, so that when I go to re-cover I can use the same wholes with new hinges. Would you happen to know a good way to do this?
I also need to remove the old polytak that is on the surface. Any suggestions on solvents or stripper that will clean the gunk off?
Thanks, Chris
                Gotta Fly...

Return to “Kolb Aircraft”