Winter heat

For general discussion of the Kolb family of aircraft.
Includes: Firefly, Firestar, Mark III C, Mark III X, Kolbra, Sport 600, Slingshot, Twinstar Mark II, and Ultrastar
Classicmark111

Winter heat

Post by Classicmark111 »

I have posted a few pics of my winter heat setup.  I fly down to 0F with this heating arrangement.  I cover the right hand rad with cardboard and duct tap.  I leave a two inch space around the top of the rad for adjustment.  I tape up the last two inches on colder days and run with the top two inches un-taped when the weather warms up a bit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Classicmark111

Re: Winter heat

Post by Classicmark111 »

I have added one more picture showing the front of the rads.  I added a diagonal brace from one cylinder head bolt up to the top one of the rad brackets.  A crack developed in the rad bracket where it attaches to the head bolt after about 25 hours..  I had it welded and then added the chromalloy bracket.  I have over 250 hours on it since I fixed the cracked bracket.  The crack probably occurred due to the added weight of the duct work bolted to the one rad.

More pictures can be found at:   http://classicmark111.spaces.live.com/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Kolb Aircraft”