Kolb MK 2 year models??

For general discussion of the Kolb family of aircraft.
Includes: Firefly, Firestar, Mark III C, Mark III X, Kolbra, Sport 600, Slingshot, Twinstar Mark II, and Ultrastar
dansbird

Kolb MK 2 year models??

Post by dansbird »

Greetings all, I am new to the site and am looking at a Kolb to purchase, I am looking at a MK II and am curious as to what years they were built. Any tips would be helpful as to what I should look at. I am a field engineer so I have mechanical background and abilities but anything specific to these planes would be welcomed.
john2
Veteran Member

Re: Kolb MK 2 year models??

Post by john2 »

Good Day,
Kolbs are fun little airplanes. I have owned 4 different ones. Two different Twinstar's which were the predecessor to the MK II Twinstar, a Firestar II and currently have a MK II Classic project that I haven't finished.
I believe the MK II's started being produced in the early 80's and are still currently produced. It is called the Classic now as they have a newer MK II model with a wider, more aerodynamic cabin that is called the MK II Twinstar.
There is a mail list that that has tons of archives on the Kolb's and a pretty active bunch of guys that talk Kolb all the time. Do a search for Matronics mail list if you don't know about it already. Not much activity on this list unless your looking for the Just Aircraft folks.

Take Care,
John Cooley
Take Care,
John Cooley
Kit #265 converted to SuperSTOL
N265JC reserved
john2
Veteran Member

Re: Kolb MK 2 year models??

Post by john2 »

john2 wrote:Good Day,
Kolbs are fun little airplanes. I have owned 4 different ones. Two different Twinstar's which were the predecessor to the MK 3 Twinstar, a Firestar II and currently have a MK 3 Classic project that I haven't finished.
I believe the MK 3's started being produced in the early 80's and are still currently produced. It is called the Classic now as they have a newer MK 3 model with a wider, more aerodynamic cabin that is called the MK 3 Extra.
There is a mail list that that has tons of archives on the Kolb's and a pretty active bunch of guys that talk Kolb all the time. Do a search for Matronics mail list if you don't know about it already. Not much activity on this list unless your looking for the Just Aircraft folks.

Made some corrections to my original post, must have been half asleep when I typed it.

Take Care,
John Cooley
Take Care,
John Cooley
Kit #265 converted to SuperSTOL
N265JC reserved

Return to “Kolb Aircraft”