KR-2S cabin size?

For general discussion of the KR family of aircraft.
Includes: KR-1, KR-2, and KR-2S
Sean_Caranna
Founder

KR-2S cabin size?

Post by Sean_Caranna »

I've been having trouble finding info on the fly-kr.com website on the cabin width, leg room, and head room of the KR-2S.  I do remember reading that the KR-2 is a great fat single seater.  I am 6'2" 240#, I just want to insure that the KR-2S is going to be of adequate size for my 6' wife and I.
Last edited by Sean_Caranna on Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having."
apophis

Post by apophis »

Man , you must be kidding !!! Please - don't do any thing , don't lift a finger or write a chueqe 'till you've tried one on for size !! This is not a large a/c . Why do you think there are so many unfinished KR projects floating around out there on the market at near fire sale prices ?
Steven Phillabaum

Post by Steven Phillabaum »

Cabin width per plans is 38.25inches mine 42 inches.
The height is what ever you want it to be if you scratch build the turtle deck.
The leg room That is from the aft portion of the bottom of the seat to the fire wall is 41.25" Again the plane lends itself for modifications to suit your needs. Many KR's are built with changes for the builders liking. Thus, no two KRs are the same. If you get to see some in person and watch several do a high speed go a round you will fall in love.
Steven Phillabaum
KR2S, 2 mile final for 36 Auburn
Steven Phillabaum

Sorry I have to correct the leg room number which is 50.25" I don't even know where the other dimension come from.
Steven Phillabaum
KR2S, 2 mile final for 36 Auburn
Sean_Caranna
Founder

Post by Sean_Caranna »

I have begun a design of my own, but this will take much longer to build for a number of reasons outside the topic of this post. I still plan to eventually build my own design but I'm just not sure that it should be my first build.

The more I read about the KR-2S the more it grows on me. However, I have also read that, like the VP-2, it makes a better fat single seater than a cruiser for 2 adults. I know that some of you here have widened the KR-2s and I wanted to know what would be involved in widening it to 44". Particularly I was concerned with how this modification would affect the loading on the wing spars and what changes would be needed to the stub wings. Should I choose to build a KR I will use the AS5048/15 airfoil.
"I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having."
Steven Phillabaum

Sean, If you are looking for a lot of room in the cabin then you should look toward the cozy V or the like. But, if you want to fly fast for less then you will find a way to fit into the KR2S. Just build to your liking. The new airfoil will give you more strength. (UNTESTED) and will give you better design stats than the older foils that were just adopted from older designs. Good luck on your surch for a plane to build. If you decide to go with a KR there is a lot of help out there and a great bunch of people.
r56c

Post by r56c »

Here is a site that list the cockpit demensions of several homebuilts...

www.wanttaja.com/avlinks/cockpit.htm
shorty

Post by shorty »

r56c wrote:Here is a site that list the cockpit demensions of several homebuilts...

www.wanttaja.com/avlinks/cockpit.htm
 From what I see on that site. if a 152 has enough legroom for you, you should be able to achieve the same in a KR-2S with very little modification.

But that hasn't taken into account seat height (above the cabin floor).  The higher you sit the less legroom required.

Mabe you can raise the seat an inch or so, and scoot it back an inch or so, and be comfortable.
I don't know for sure.

Now for the cabin width, I think that it's also close to that of a 150.
Thanx
 Shorty
http://st3gamefarm.com

Return to “KR Aircraft”