VP-2 Scratched for being underpowered???

For general discussion of the Evans family of aircraft.
Includes: Volksplane VP-1 and Volksplane VP-2
millerdvr

VP-2 Scratched for being underpowered???

Post by millerdvr »

i have a set of plans for the VP2 but read that they were no longer considered any good because the "plane was dangerously underpowered"  

Any thoughts on whether this is true or not ?

thanks,
Chris
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

I built a VP-2 in the early '80s. Using a Hapi 1835cc VW engine, the airplane was very underpowered. It is also quite small inside and really should be considered a single place airplane. I was never able to carry a passenger. There is no way I can remember how much it weighed. The VP-1 would be a much better choice.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
flyranch

Re: VP-2 Scratched for being underpowered???

Post by flyranch »

millerdvr wrote:i have a set of plans for the VP2 but read that they were no longer considered any good because the "plane was dangerously underpowered"  

Any thoughts on whether this is true or not ?

thanks,
Chris
I just got my plans for the VP-1 and on the last page is this note:
NOTE: In reply to the constant request for information on VP-2 Plans, the truth is that they are no longer marketed due to the double liability on any 2-place.  A famous designer was sued by the PASSENGER of a SECOND OWNER, not builder, of one of his designs.  The costly experience caused him to stop plan sales.  I'm doing the same on the VP-2.
According to Evans, the VP-2 was designed as an 'occassional' 2-place.  Plans are still available online for free.  It is certainly not overpowered and only sports a 400 fpm climb with 2 aboard.

I plan to build one and use it as a single place, MAYBE an occassional 2-place depending on how skinny the other person is.
bullhauler137

Re: VP-2 Scratched for being underpowered???

Post by bullhauler137 »

where are the plans online please

Return to “Evans Volksplane”