New Builder of Sport Trainer J-3 neding help

For general discussion of the Wag-Aero Group family of aircraft.
Includes: Sport Trainer, Sportsman 2+2, and Wag-A-Bond
dwhicks

New Builder of Sport Trainer J-3 neding help

Post by dwhicks »

My brother just received his wings shipment from War Aero for his J-3 Sport Trainer w/ aluminum spar.  The documentation has been photocopied so many times it is hard to figure much out.   We’re having trouble knowing even the basics like what size pilot hole and hardware to use to attach the ribs to the aluminum spar.  I plans built a TEAM Mini Max, so I thought I would kind of have a clue, but I’m coming up short.   When we called Wag Aero, they said to look online for help.  We’re looking and boy do we need the help!

Thanks in advance,
Doug

_!_
___( )___
Brohawk

Post by Brohawk »

Wow.   :?

I was thinking of a WagAero project, but that's pretty crappy customer support.

Try looking over at http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com .  Some of the guys over there might have advice.
stanmehrhoff

Re: New Builder of Sport Trainer J-3 neding help

Post by stanmehrhoff »

I am sponsering a build a plane project for a group of high school kids plans building a J-3. The original plans are very good. I ordered the clipped wing kit from Wag Aero. It is the worst kit I have ever seen. The spars were advertised a pre drilled but wern't. The plans were for a wood wing spar. When I called the company I was given another set of numbers to drill holes in spar. When I figured out these numbers were not going to work either, I called again. I was given another set of numbers which appear to be accurate. There are absolutely no instructions with this kit, i.e. do this first, do this second, etc. You would think that as long as they have been supplying these kits there would be something in writing by now. I recommend you stay away from Wag Aero kits. There are a lot of cub plans on the internet you can download for free. I would also recommend anyone thinking about building a J-3 to strongly consider a super cub. No harder to build and a lot roomier.

Stan,

P.S. This is my third airplane. I am an A&P, IA, ATP.

Return to “Wag-Aero Group”