Turbo 912S

For technical discussion of ALL Rotax aircraft engines.
mongo

Turbo 912S

Post by mongo »

I am turbo charging a friends 912S engine, and as he will attest it has taken me way too long. Stupid job.
It is going to be a pretty nice piece, with an equal length exhaust system, custom turbo, and an intercooler setup. The compression has been reduced to 9.2 to 1, the crankshaft has been welded, and we are running a 914 camshaft. I also increased the studs to 10mm from the stock 8mm and they are machined out of 17-4ph H900 condition stainless steel, which is 30% stronger than the stock stud steel.

While developing this system I realized that there is no way to adjust the timing on a Rotax, and the stock timing is far to advanced to let me run the boost levels I wish to run (7-12 psi). The timing is adjustable in any increment by just selecting the correct "Pill" and installing them, another benefit is that it is about half the weight of the stock unit. If anyone is building a similar project, or you wish to squeeze a few more ponies out of a stock engine by advancing the timing a few degrees please PM me.
IMAG0148.jpg
IMAG0153.jpg
IMAG0221.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mongo

Re: Turbo 912S

Post by mongo »

I just realized how bad the garage looked in the first pic so I had to redeem myself and show the update.
I also included a few more shots.
IMAG0182 (1).jpg
photo-4.JPG
photo.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mongo

Post by mongo »

BadAssBushCraft

Post by BadAssBushCraft »

How did you make out with this build?

Return to “Rotax Engine Technical Discussions”