BD-6

For general discussion of new kit aircraft designs and other homebuilt aircraft.
walk1rose

BD-6

Post by walk1rose »

I am very interested in the BD-6. High wing, all metal, single place, vw powered traditional looking aircraft. There are web sites offering plans and materials packages but I cannot find any other info. I don't even see that anyone else but Jim Bede has ever even registered one unless it is under a owner created model name. Also is there a reason to worry that the registration for the Bede owned BD-6 airplane is revoked? Any info you can provide would be great. Thanks, Joel.
walk1rose

BD-6 followup

Post by walk1rose »

Jim Bede actually emailed me and let me know that the original BD-6 which was destroyed in a flood was being rebuilt and that the plans were finished. I have found materials kits on the website so I will be definitely waiting and watching for the BD-6 again. There are a great many potential powerplants these days for this bird, but the one Jim Bede mentioned was the HKS700. FYI
Scott-Iron Design L.L.C.

BD-6 update

Post by Scott-Iron Design L.L.C. »

A friend actually bought the latest BD-6 plans and asked me to review them... All in all, I would say the plans are better than most and the few questions I had, the Bede folks answered them quickly. It is true that only one has been built or flown. I think for years the plans may have been pretty incomplete but that seems to be taken care of.  The HKS would seem to be the motor of choice... one of those- "we know that one will work" motors.  The posted numbers are a bit hard to believe, but if they are even close, it will still be a good deal. (performance wise)  As for time to construct, this has to be way under any tube/fabric plane and you can take the finish as little or far as you want.  
    There is a lot of new Bede tech improvements since the one was built in '74? or there abouts.

Could be a great little plane at an affordable price when you compare to so many others today.

Scott

Return to “Other Aircraft & New Kit Aircraft Designs”